NME: Morrissey's 10 best lyrics

Moz might not be pop’s most charming man, but ever since the Smiths doodled their signature onto the nation’s pencil cases, the quiffed singer has pumping out lyrics that are remarkably easy to get along with – down-hearted yet upbeat, literate yet lively, never less than loveable. Whether they’ve induce tears of laughter, misery, or both at once, these 10 lyrics see Manc’s beloved pop-poet on his fiercest form.

The list on nme.com:
http://www.nme.com/list/morrisseys-10-best-lyrics/378170

They are clearly obsessed with him. It's annoying.

“I’m not sure what happiness means/ But I look in your eyes and I know that it isn’t there”
that pretty much sums up every conclusion Morrissey has ever got from every situation he has been in. Beliving that he will find what he is looking for, only to fail.

No wonder i find "jeane" to be his greatest work. Jesus christ moz, you are godsent. If i ever heard jeane live i would go apeshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
But to be frank, the Smiths lyrics are in general better

I don't think that is true. What about these?

"Tell all of my friends, I don't have too many, just some rain-coated lovers' puny Brothers."

"There is something I wanted to tell you, it's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing but then I ... I turn around and I remember that I am alone, alone, forevermore."

" Oh you look so tired, mouth slack and wide, ill-housed and ill-advised. Your face is as mean as your life has been."

" And all of the best things in life are behind glass: money, jewellery and flesh." (Even better live when he changed it to flesh, flesh and flesh)

Or Hairdresser On Fire which is hilarious. Or Christian Dior which is extraordinary. I could go on forever ...

I don't think that is true. What about these?

"Tell all of my friends, I don't have too many, just some rain-coated lovers' puny Brothers."

"There is something I wanted to tell you, it's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing but then I ... I turn around and I remember that I am alone, alone, forevermore."

" Oh you look so tired, mouth slack and wide, ill-housed and ill-advised. Your face is as mean as your life has been."

" And all of the best things in life are behind glass: money, jewellery and flesh." (Even better live when he changed it to flesh, flesh and flesh)

Or Hairdresser On Fire which is hilarious. Or Christian Dior which is extraordinary. I could go on forever ...
I'm not saying that they aren't good. But the Smiths still wrote better lyrics than that

On the day that your mentality
Decides to try to catch up with your biology

See, the sea wants to take me
The knife wants to slit me
Do you think you can help me?

Well I wonder
do you see me when we pass?
I half-die

Please keep me in mind
please keep me in mind

Gasping - but somehow still alive
this is the fierce last stand of all I am

Lesley-Anne, with your pretty white beads
Oh John, you'll never be a man
And you'll never see your home again
Oh Manchester, so much to answer for

It was dark as I drove the point home
And on cold leather seats
Well, it suddenly struck me
I just might die with a smile on my
Face after all

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

You can't beat this, no one on earth can even Morrissey.

The Smiths didn't write the lyrics. Moz did.

For godsake, of course i know that!. I Said the Smiths to separate morrisseys lyric writing from the eights and now

Its almost insulting when i hear things like that

On the day that your mentality
Decides to try to catch up with your biology

See, the sea wants to take me
The knife wants to slit me
Do you think you can help me?

Well I wonder
do you see me when we pass?
I half-die

Please keep me in mind
please keep me in mind

Gasping - but somehow still alive
this is the fierce last stand of all I am

Lesley-Anne, with your pretty white beads
Oh John, you'll never be a man
And you'll never see your home again
Oh Manchester, so much to answer for

It was dark as I drove the point home
And on cold leather seats
Well, it suddenly struck me
I just might die with a smile on my
Face after all

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

You can't beat this, no one on earth can even Morrissey.

He stole his description of his love relationships in Autobiography from me. I will never forgive him that. Never. He is not able to express love that way. He had to steal it. Pathetic. Especially if you consider what I have gone through with him and his shitty fans. Disgusting.

He stole his description of his love relationships in Autobiography from me. I will never forgive him that. Never. He is not able to express love that way. He had to steal it. Pathetic. Especially if you consider what I have gone through with him and his shitty fans. Disgusting.

Who are you?, when did he steal your description (if he did) are you an ex or ex-friend.
Sounds compelling, you got to answer me .

Is that you, Peter Hogg?

Morrissey stole most of his best lyrics, so that wouldn't be out of character.

Yes he has lifted, a few lines from books and film. But that was on a few occasions. Morrissey has always written his own work and the best lines are always his.

- - - Updated - - -

I got no answer. Propably a troll

Morrissey's 10 best lyrics - NME.com

Moz might not be pop’s most charming man, but ever since the Smiths doodled their signature onto the nation’s pencil cases, the quiffed singer has pumping out lyrics that are remarkably easy to get along with – down-hearted yet upbeat, literate yet lively, never less than loveable. Whether they’ve induce tears of laughter, misery, or both at once, these 10 lyrics see Manc’s beloved pop-poet on his fiercest form.

Overwhelming majority of these are from Hatful of Hallow and before--which is when I've always felt Morrissey was at his best a lyricist. Even the later Smiths doesn't really compare.

Which is not to say he become a terrible lyricist or anything like. There's just something very magical about the early Smiths songs.

So it's actually Morrissey's 9 best lyrics? :cool:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom