• Happy Martyr - "Christmas Kisses" video, featuring Boz Boorer

    This article was originally published in forum thread: I'm sorry, Boz, but... started by mcrickson View original post
    Comments 30 Comments
    1. Amy's Avatar
      Amy -
      Quote Originally Posted by mcrickson View Post
      I don't understand how anyone can find any redeeming qualities to this...



      It's so bad, I can't help wondering if the whole thing is a joke. No-one could take this tosh seriously.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Librarian On Fire's Avatar
      Librarian On Fire -
      Goodness, I always thought The Streets were dreadful, but this is horrible. Who is that singing with Boz? He's well 'ard isn't he?

      Forgettable.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Amy's Avatar
      Amy -
      I can think of one redeeming feature. Kate's dolls .

      0 Not allowed!
    1. mcrickson's Avatar
      mcrickson -
      Quote Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
      Goodness, I always thought The Streets were dreadful, but this is horrible. Who is that singing with Boz? He's well 'ard isn't he?

      Forgetable.
      Happy Martyr is Boz's cringeworthy side project with 'rapper' Alex Lusty. I feel like now I have to offer my sincere apologies for introducing you to them.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. modrevolve's Avatar
      modrevolve -
      At least Boz isn't forced to dress up as Mrs. Claus.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Sally Y-Brown's Avatar
      Sally Y-Brown -
      I seem to be in the minority, but I like it!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Compare the quality of this to what Johnny Marr's currently producing, and weep.
      What must Morrissey be thinking?

      0 Not allowed!
    1. billybu69's Avatar
      billybu69 -
      "to many mince pies will make you sick, father christmas is diabetic...." How do they not know? I mean Boz has been in this game a long time, perhaps all the prides gone.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Amy's Avatar
      Amy -
      I'd love to see a video of Morrissey's reaction to hearing this for the first time.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Pokey's Avatar
      Pokey -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
      I'd love to see a video of Morrissey's reaction to hearing this for the first time.
      I imagine something like:




      It seriously is pretty much the worst thing in the entire world, not limited to music.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Tammy Waynette's Avatar
      Tammy Waynette -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
      I'd love to see a video of Morrissey's reaction to hearing this for the first time.
      hahahahahahaha.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Nice music - sounds like it could have been a Moz track...

      0 Not allowed!
    1. icedglass's Avatar
      icedglass -
      Quote Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
      Goodness, I always thought The Streets were dreadful, but this is horrible. Who is that singing with Boz? He's well 'ard isn't he?

      Forgettable.
      No, I'm sorry, when was the last time Morrissey's guitarist asked you to collaborate with him? What's that? Never. Hmmm, I thought so.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Guernie's Avatar
      Guernie -
      Seems to describe (lyrically) many in America's view of the Christmas season . Greed rules ! At least I didn't hear of anybody dieing in the shopping rush on Friday after Thanksgiving .
      Love the dolls and I think the reaction of both at the end of the video is how they view the song . Its a larky song with a bit of the sting of truth .
      Why hammer Boz ? It isn't like this will make him a ton of money . He does it because he LIKES/WANTS to . Merry Christmas !!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. mcrickson's Avatar
      mcrickson -
      Quote Originally Posted by icedglass View Post
      No, I'm sorry, when was the last time Morrissey's guitarist asked you to collaborate with him? What's that? Never. Hmmm, I thought so.
      See, that's the thing though - he's best known as 'Morrissey's guitarist.' That's his go-to claim to fame. Yeah, there's the Polecats, but by this point, aren't they just a nostalgia act by the few who caught them the first time around? If Moz hadn't picked him up in the early 90s, not nearly as many people would give a shit. And it's not like he's doing anything close to groundbreaking with this acoustic rap "experiment"; he's strumming standard chords attempting to look intimidating while a homeless middle-aged man shouts bland, poorly-constructed lyrics. Just because he's 'Morrissey's guitarist' doesn't mean his shit doesn't smell. Anyone with a $20 acoustic guitar and a bottle of Jack can do what Happy Martyr does.


      Quote Originally Posted by Guernie View Post
      Why hammer Boz ? It isn't like this will make him a ton of money . He does it because he LIKES/WANTS to . Merry Christmas !!
      Why hammer Boz? Because it might literally be the most embarrassing song I've ever heard, and he's the guy who wrote "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils" and "Come Back to Camden." I'm not judging his motives. I'm just saying the song sucks.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Skylarker's Avatar
      Skylarker -
      Quote Originally Posted by mcrickson View Post
      See, that's the thing though - he's best known as 'Morrissey's guitarist.' That's his go-to claim to fame. Yeah, there's the Polecats, but by this point, aren't they just a nostalgia act by the few who caught them the first time around? If Moz hadn't picked him up in the early 90s, not nearly as many people would give a shit. And it's not like he's doing anything close to groundbreaking with this acoustic rap "experiment"; he's strumming standard chords attempting to look intimidating while a homeless middle-aged man shouts bland, poorly-constructed lyrics. Just because he's 'Morrissey's guitarist' doesn't mean his shit doesn't smell. Anyone with a $20 acoustic guitar and a bottle of Jack can do what Happy Martyr does.




      Why hammer Boz? Because it might literally be the most embarrassing song I've ever heard, and he's the guy who wrote "The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils" and "Come Back to Camden." I'm not judging his motives. I'm just saying the song sucks.
      I'd love to add something clever, but you've pretty much said it all.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. The Cat's Mother's Avatar
      The Cat's Mother -
      Quote Originally Posted by Guernie View Post
      Love the dolls and I think the reaction of both at the end of the video is how they view the song . Its a larky song with a bit of the sting of truth .
      Why hammer Boz ? It isn't like this will make him a ton of money . He does it because he LIKES/WANTS to . Merry Christmas !!
      Thank you. There is now a "Mini Martyr" photo set in my albums* here (see my profile page) and also on Knitted Morrissey's Albums on Facebook.

      URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/hmwithlogocopy.jpg/][/URL]


      (Yes, shameless self-promotion but publicity helps sell* my calendars and raises money for the cats. )

      0 Not allowed!
    1. MozAngeles818's Avatar
      MozAngeles818 -
      I like it....

      0 Not allowed!
    1. King Leer's Avatar
      King Leer -
      Wow, a lot of hatorade for an amusingly grumpy Christmas ditty. Vocals aren't to my taste but the backing music is pretty decent (I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were a demo that Moz never used). Dolls are pretty cool -- got the scowl down.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. dewdrop's Avatar
      dewdrop -
      Thanks a lot, Morrissey's mom... Boz should be in the middle of a tour right now. Was this his cure for boredom? Still better than seeing him dressed like a woman, I guess. But, ouch. Very ouch.

      0 Not allowed!