• Billy Bragg takes on Morrissey over slam of London Olympics blustering jingoism - Slicing Up Eyeballs

    Tipped from:

    Billy Bragg takes on Morrissey over slam of London Olympics blustering jingoism - Slicing Up Eyeballs.

    Link posted by an anonymous person:

    Beefs 2012: Billy Bragg Slams Morrissey over Olympics Comments - exclaim.ca

    Also:

    Billy Bragg puts his docs in - posted by CharlieFairhead.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Article: Morrissey statement Aug 3, new drummer Anthony Burulcich - true-to-you.net started by MORRIZSEY View original post
    Comments 60 Comments
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Aren't these stories just derivatives of the "Statement" from true-to-you ?
      Why a separate thread and headline? There's already a thread for this, no?

      0 Not allowed!
    1. goinghome's Avatar
      goinghome -
      Others can still take a step back far enough, like Morrissey, to be concerned about the broader context of it all, including this poet - http://poetry-24.blogspot.ie/2012/08...straction.html

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Worm's Avatar
      Worm -
      Quote Originally Posted by goinghome View Post
      Others can still take a step back far enough, like Morrissey, to be concerned about the broader context of it all, including this poet - http://poetry-24.blogspot.ie/2012/08...straction.html
      Abigail Wyatt, gee, what a troll.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. goinghome's Avatar
      goinghome -
      Quote Originally Posted by Worm View Post
      Abigail Wyatt, gee, what a troll.
      To decipher the import of your arcane pronouncement, I shall sleep on it.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. goinghome's Avatar
      goinghome -
      Quote Originally Posted by Worm View Post
      Abigail Wyatt, gee, what a troll.
      p.s. a fresh haiku, about the Olympic games possibly and maybe about other things too, for you to decipher.

      Yesterday budded
      Intimations of joy, now
      Blown back down to earth.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      pretty sure that flag is coming out of the crotch of Mozzer's pants in that photo for a reason, Mr. Bragg.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Worm's Avatar
      Worm -
      Billy Bragg's response had fuck all to do with Morrissey's statement.

      I guess if Morrissey doesn't spoonfeed it to people, they don't get it.

      Who are the villains in Morrissey's statement?

      And, yet! I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. TV (MEDIA)

      The “dazzling royals” have, quite naturally, hi-jacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, (ROYALS - IN THE MEDIA)

      and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. (FREE PRESS - MEDIA)

      As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand (MEDIA)

      Meanwhile the British media (MEDIA)

      (AS DISTINGUISHED FROM...THE PEOPLE...) In 2012, the British public is evidently assumed (BY THE MEDIA) to be undersized pigmies, scarcely able to formulate thought.

      the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain (MEDIA)

      Basic reading comprehension sez Morrissey's statement was a criticism of THE MEDIA.

      So what does Billy talk about? Who does Billy valiantly stick up for? The target of Morrissey's attack?

      The home crowd.

      People waving flags.

      Jessica Ennis.

      "Fellow citizens".

      None of whom Morrissey accused of jingoism.

      No, Billy blathered on about things Morrissey didn't say. And a "conversation" so quickly becomes two people talking about entirely different subjects. Welcome to the Internet, Billy!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Oh my god, it's Robby!'s Avatar
      Oh my god, it's Robby! -
      the media or "free press" as I take Morrissey to mean
      such is an illusion
      and has been ever since the majority of people began to actually be able to read and write
      and really we are now in the era of (post)modern mass media that gives people EXACTLY what they want
      blaming the "messenger"(the media) here in 2012 just shows how Morrissey seems to have become intellectually stunted quite some time ago*
      honestly, I feel sorry for him more than anything else
      at least when it comes to these issues that he is just not equipped to talk about



      *=the company you keep likely affects this as well, its a form of "Oscar Wilde syndrome" he said and did things that were just plain stupid and it lead to his early demise
      luckily for Morrissey, the kind of stupidity he now engages will not have such drastic consequences

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      To billie: Your hollowed out once murderous empire of fakery and germanic so called royalty is finito, kaput, defunct and dead! Ha Ha! Your enthusiastic brit tarts are an example of your nothing status in this world. Except that is to provide room and comfort to the international parasitical troublemakers. You know the war for profit mob. Your days of blind adherence and nauseating submission to filth are over! Ahhhh Cool eh MOZ!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Billy has been talking about Brit identity all through the games. Obviously he did the book a few years back and the album, so he's dragged out as rent-a-quote on such matters.

      As for Morrissey and his statement, there is an old saying round here...

      "After the Lord Mayors parade, comes the bin man"

      Morrissey has always been one to dwell on the bin man!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      i still come here to read the comments and look on in disbelief at the spiralling down-turn in Morrissey's appeal. The man could have had iconic admiration for the rest of his life but he has been the master of his own downfall. His comments are crass, ignorant and miserable. His comments are not 'witty and charming' as some would have it. I was a die-hard, gigs up and down the country meeting other followers (who unsurprisingly are now also bored of him). I don't even listen to his music anymore because he has lost so many admirers including me. Five more years of this nonsense will break the man to dust, no mistake. It's time to pack it in. There is no buzz or excitement anymore, even a homecoming gig was a non-event in the end. A few years ago there was a frenzy for tickets, now nobody really cares. It really goes to show that withing the framework and confines of an artistic powerhouse like The Smiths, he was protected and could carry it off relying on the brilliance of his band to redeem him. On his own he is what he was before Marr knocked on his door. An idiot!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. DeckardtheReplicant's Avatar
      DeckardtheReplicant -
      Morrissey should just shut his mouth about current events and concentrate on writing lyrics like he used to....you know back in 94 when he released his last decent record. The man has become nothing but an attention seeker and a completely horrible person. Im sick to death of his bullshit statements and these fans that agree with everything he says. Get a life people and Moz.....COP YOURSELF ON

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      and we at So-low are sick to death of anonymous nobodies posing as "life-long fans" and guests with retarded usernames polluting the forums with their tunnel-vision interpretation of why Morrissey "isn't cool to you anymore".

      Go fuck yourselves

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Dead Girl's Avatar
      Dead Girl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      and we at So-low are sick to death of anonymous nobodies posing as "life-long fans" and guests with retarded usernames polluting the forums with their tunnel-vision interpretation of why Morrissey "isn't cool to you anymore".

      Go fuck yourselves
      My sentiments exactly.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Johnny Barleycorn's Avatar
      Johnny Barleycorn -
      Odd one this. Two men whose best years are a long way behind them battle it out for column inches in The Sun.

      On one side you have Morrissey, a man who has dabbled with right wing imagery and ideas for years yet now, post NME, seems to be reinventing himself as a wet liberal cum IRA supporter, railing against bellicosity and jingoism, unless, of course, he has a sold out show in Buenos Aires in which case he is happy to fan the flames.

      On the other Billy Bragg who did a good impression in the 1980s of someone who loathed all things English and British, yet now finds himself the go to media "expert" on, of all things, English identity.

      Write some decent songs, arseholes. That is why people used to listen to you.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      i still come here to read the comments and look on in disbelief at the spiralling down-turn in Morrissey's appeal. The man could have had iconic admiration for the rest of his life but he has been the master of his own downfall. His comments are crass, ignorant and miserable. His comments are not 'witty and charming' as some would have it. I was a die-hard, gigs up and down the country meeting other followers (who unsurprisingly are now also bored of him). I don't even listen to his music anymore because he has lost so many admirers including me. Five more years of this nonsense will break the man to dust, no mistake. It's time to pack it in. There is no buzz or excitement anymore, even a homecoming gig was a non-event in the end. A few years ago there was a frenzy for tickets, now nobody really cares. It really goes to show that withing the framework and confines of an artistic powerhouse like The Smiths, he was protected and could carry it off relying on the brilliance of his band to redeem him. On his own he is what he was before Marr knocked on his door. An idiot!
      You miss the point that it's only the same half a dozen people knocking him. The man WILL have "iconic admiration" for the rest of his life. His achievements and influences are completely unaffected by the barely literate ramblings of a few sad old men on a once-vital, now-irrelevant fansite.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Thanks Morrissey for having the guts to stand up and do the right thing and that's exposing abuse of any kind to any living being! It's never easy and J.F. K. And M.L. King were just two men who dared to end abuse. They are to many regarded as heroes!
      No! We can't agree with each and every comment made by anyone. We are individuals and not carbon copies. But, Morrissey is to be respected for atleast having guts to speak his mind in the effort to stop abusive behavior to people of Northern Ireland and to animals. Of corse Morrissey is going to use his gift of the English language to express himself and it works!
      The so- called royals are german posers and PARISITES all. War mongering, death and abuse are their game! Distractions as olympics deserve NO further recognition!
      Oh yes, another brave soul named John Lennon tried to end abuse and joined the sad list of those murdered to enforce their stays quo, that being " control".
      Wake up all and embrace those like Morrissey, who use peaceful words to end abuse and murder. The Consumate Outsiders.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      and we at So-low are sick to death of anonymous nobodies posing as "life-long fans" and guests with retarded usernames polluting the forums with their tunnel-vision interpretation of why Morrissey "isn't cool to you anymore".

      Go fuck yourselves
      "retarded usernames" Ahahahahaaaaaaaaa!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. DAVIE's Avatar
      DAVIE -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      and we at So-low are sick to death of anonymous nobodies posing as "life-long fans" and guests with retarded usernames polluting the forums with their tunnel-vision interpretation of why Morrissey "isn't cool to you anymore".

      Go fuck yourselves
      Agreed. BAN ANONYMOUS POSTS!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. goinghome's Avatar
      goinghome -
      Quote Originally Posted by Worm View Post
      Billy Bragg's response had fuck all to do with Morrissey's statement.

      I guess if Morrissey doesn't spoonfeed it to people, they don't get it.

      Who are the villains in Morrissey's statement?

      And, yet! I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. TV (MEDIA)

      The dazzling royals have, quite naturally, hi-jacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, (ROYALS - IN THE MEDIA)

      and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. (FREE PRESS - MEDIA)

      As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand (MEDIA)

      Meanwhile the British media (MEDIA)

      (AS DISTINGUISHED FROM...THE PEOPLE...) In 2012, the British public is evidently assumed (BY THE MEDIA) to be undersized pigmies, scarcely able to formulate thought.

      the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain (MEDIA)

      Basic reading comprehension sez Morrissey's statement was a criticism of THE MEDIA.

      So what does Billy talk about? Who does Billy valiantly stick up for? The target of Morrissey's attack?

      The home crowd.

      People waving flags.

      Jessica Ennis.

      "Fellow citizens".

      None of whom Morrissey accused of jingoism.

      No, Billy blathered on about things Morrissey didn't say. And a "conversation" so quickly becomes two people talking about entirely different subjects. Welcome to the Internet, Billy!
      Dear Worm, it is always an honour and a privilege to have the opportunity to bask in the quicksilver resplendence of your towering mind.

      0 Not allowed!