• Passions Just Like Mine RIP

    1995-2012.

    http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/



    Update 9:45AM PT:

    Statement from Stephane posted.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Passions Just Like Mine RIP started by CrystalGeezer View original post
    Comments 267 Comments
    1. MozRecording's Avatar
      MozRecording -
      Quote Originally Posted by davidt View Post
      You can credit the source '!Viva Hate! at morrissey-solo.com', that's what I would do if I took something someone had written.
      That's nice, but it's not what you've written in the TOS:

      "Any Content, creative materials, ideas, or suggestions you send to the Site by email or otherwise, including, without limitation, images, original artwork and text, will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary. As between you and us, any Content you transmit or post to the Service shall remain your copyrighted work, but may be used by us or our affiliates for any purpose, and you hereby grant us and our affiliates a world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive license to reproduce, disclose, transmit, publish, broadcast and post all such Content."
    1. davidt's Avatar
      davidt -
      Quote Originally Posted by MozRecording View Post
      That's nice, but it's not what you've written in the TOS:
      I didn't say anyone has to do anything, I think in general people should be credited fairly. What in that part of the TOS suggests otherwise?
    1. MozRecording's Avatar
      MozRecording -
      Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
      So I can steal all of Flax's album scans, steal all of "Stephane's information", host all of the bootlegs downloaded from Drifter's site and go start a website with a less tacky name & design while passing off all the work as my own and because they are "anonymous", you find no flaw or indecency in that?
      Much of Stephane's information has already been copied and is published on the web, nearly everything if you know how to look. The bootlegs are no more owned by the person hosting them than the person who downloads them. Can you download the album scans and host them as your own, sure, it would take less than an hour to do. Taking a picture of an album cover doesn't make the captured image yours anymore than taking a photo of the Mona Lisa does. And chunks of the web are already based on taking information displayed one way, changing the formatting and redisplaying it.

      Now questions of "should" one do this are moral issues that each person answers for themselves.

      Still, we've gone off the rails at tad. I would be surprised if a copyright holder requesting removal of content from PJLM was ever refused. However, it's seems to be a moot point now, unfortunately.
    1. MozRecording's Avatar
      MozRecording -
      Quote Originally Posted by davidt View Post
      I didn't say anyone has to do anything, I think in general people should be credited fairly. What in that part of the TOS suggests otherwise?
      The TOS suggests neither is the only thing I meant to point out.
    1. nothappynotsad's Avatar
      nothappynotsad -
      Quote Originally Posted by MozRecording View Post
      The problem with written communication is that tone doesn't really come through. So either I'm missing your sarcasm or you're missing that things posted by the handle !Viva Hate! are still posted anonymously.
      The difference here is that while !Viva Hate! may just be an anonymous screen name to you (as you are to me) he is a person to me. One that I actually know. One whose review was plagiarized. Therefore, I fail to see the humor in the matter and I definitely fail to accept your assertion that !Viva Hate! is nothing but a faceless username.

      Quote Originally Posted by davidt View Post
      You can credit the source '!Viva Hate! at morrissey-solo.com', that's what I would do if I took something someone had written.
      Your logic, per usual, is flawless. If everyone ran their site with such integrity the world would be a brighter place.
    1. MozRecording's Avatar
      MozRecording -
      Quote Originally Posted by nothappynotsad View Post
      I definitely fail to accept your assertion that !Viva Hate! is nothing but a faceless username.
      And yet, that's what handles are. They give you the ability to create a persona unique to your actions at any given site. That persona can reflect anything you like it to in one place and something completely different in another. However, it is still anonymous. True, we're in the middle here, not at either end. These aren't posts by "Anonymous" but we're not on Facebook with our real names either. What folks seem to fail to realize with handles (rank generalization I know, but grant me a bit of leeway) is that behind each of those anonymous handles is a real person. I find that real and important and would enjoy web interactions more if others did as well. I also won't be holding my breath waiting for change.
    1. Skylarker's Avatar
      Skylarker -
      Quote Originally Posted by MozRecording View Post
      And yet, that's what handles are. They give you the ability to create a persona unique to your actions at any given site. That persona can reflect anything you like it to in one place and something completely different in another. However, it is still anonymous. True, we're in the middle here, not at either end. These aren't posts by "Anonymous" but we're not on Facebook with our real names either. What folks seem to fail to realize with handles (rank generalization I know, but grant me a bit of leeway) is that behind each of those anonymous handles is a real person. I find that real and important and would enjoy web interactions more if others did as well. I also won't be holding my breath waiting for change.
      I definitely don't use my real name on Facebook...
    1. !Viva Hate!'s Avatar
      !Viva Hate! -
      Quote Originally Posted by Skylarker View Post
      I definitely don't use my real name on Facebook...
      I'm not sure you have a real name...
    1. Oso Blanco's Avatar
      Oso Blanco -
      Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
      Don't flatter yourself too much. Each description was put together with 10-20 different sources: reviews posted on websites such as moz-solo, contributions sent to me by people who attended, audio bootlegs, youtube footage, etc. I spent 2-4 hours on each description to patch it all up together. Significant contributors were credited.

      You cannot steal information that has been made public. I never got offended to see my descriptions copy-pasted all over the internet.

      It's people like you who turned me off the world of Morrissey. I have to say my life has only been better since I started spending less time hanging around these parts.

      Stephane
      Now I can see why you couldn't be bothered with maintaining your website. It had always been a inexhaustible source of information and it's being tremendously missed. I really can't believe that anyone here would make such dumb accusations. Please don't listhen to them ... it's just the usual suspects, the same people who ruined the enjoyment of this site and made it an enemy of the man they claim to admire.

      Thank you for everything Stephane ... I wish you would make all the info available again, even if you would never update any of it ever again!
    1. valhalla road crematorium's Avatar
      valhalla road crematorium -
      what has happened to passionsjustlikemine? used to be brilliant, with the lyrics and gig history sections, but that's all disappeared. has it been moved to a new site? i mailed Stephane but got no response...
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      does anyone else get the impression that Stephane and the mods are a bunch of condescending, pompous asses?
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      Like "Oh hey, I maintained a Smiths/Morrissey site since 1996, you aint got shit on me!"
    1. Skylarker's Avatar
      Skylarker -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      does anyone else get the impression that Stephane and the mods are a bunch of condescending, pompous asses?
      OK, I've changed my mind. I like you.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      Like "Oh hey, I maintained a Smiths/Morrissey site since 1996, you aint got shit on me!"
      Well that's something you've managed to get right, you ain't got shit on anyone who's done anything whatsoever that's positive for this community. You chatter to much and most often it's shite.
      Billybu69
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      Oh Billybu

      you obviously have me confused with somebody who gives a flying fuck.
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Can't Stephane just dump the whole site into a .txt file and let us sort through it? It's like all that knowledge has just gone down the drain.

      I'm absolutely heartbroken that PJLM is gone. To me it's like the Library of Alexandria burning down.
    1. !Viva Hate!'s Avatar
      !Viva Hate! -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      Can't Stephane just dump the whole site into a .txt file and let us sort through it? It's like all that knowledge has just gone down the drain.

      I'm absolutely heartbroken that PJLM is gone. To me it's like the Library of Alexandria burning down.
      Soon.
    1. MozRecording's Avatar
      MozRecording -
      Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
      Soon.
      +1 to that.
    1. 123xyz's Avatar
      123xyz -
      Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
      Soon.

      It would be great if someone was that keen ...
    1. !Viva Hate!'s Avatar
      !Viva Hate! -
      Quote Originally Posted by 123xyz View Post
      It would be great if someone was that keen ...
      There are actually 4 people that keen...
    Comments Leave Comment

    Click here to log in
    Anonymous posts may require moderator approval before they appear on the site.

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.