• Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce interviews in The Guardian

    The Guardian has a little article where Andy and Mike reminisce about the early days of the band.

    How we made: Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce on the Smiths' first gig - The Guardian
    'Morrissey was yodelling with his legs in the air. There was shock in the front row'

    Interviews by Dave Simpson
    This article was originally published in forum thread: andy and mike article in the guardian started by chris View original post
    Comments 129 Comments
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barleycorn View Post
      Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman haven't enjoyed great music careers outside the Stones (Wyman having left many years back) and yet were intrinsic to the success of the band, and Marr's career has hardly been a glittering success story since August 1987 either, has he?
      Strawman alert from fuckedupintheheadcorn.

      Watts and Wyman are ancient, and are multimillionaires.
      Joyce and Rourke had the world at their feet in the blush of youth when The Smiths finished ... and found their level.
      They reached their pinnacle on the coattails of Moz and Marr.
      Sad little men, their peak 30 years ago, still reliving every moment.

      Only thing sadder is their pathetic squeaking defender. Give it up, you're embarrassing yourself.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Peterb's Avatar
      Peterb -
      It's a mystery as to why all these Anonymous posters are getting their underwear in twist about Joyce and Rourke.
      They were part of whatever made the Smiths what they were and this can't be taken away. Who cares about what has happened since?
      Maybe the Morrissey/Marr would have been great in other circumstances, as might Lennon/McCartney or Jagger/Richards. Who knows?
      Who cares?

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      Morrissey stole his money how, exactly? Was there ever a written contract during the life of the band stating Joyce was supposed to get more than 10%?
      You've unwittingly, hit the nail on the head. There was no, "written contract during the life of the band stating that Joyce was supposed to get more than 10%." There didn't need to be. If Morrissey and Marr wanted to argue that Joyce was entitled to only 10%, then the burden of proof to show the existence of a contract which made that provision was theirs. This was settled as a preliminary issue by the court. In the absence of a contract which stipulated that he was entitled to a less-than-equal share, Joyce was entitled to a full 25%. So, to answer your question, Morrissey (and Marr), "stole Joyce's money," by hoarding for themselves three-fifths of the money to which Joyce was legally entitled.

      See the s.24(1) of Partnership Act 1890 for further details.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      Yes, both Joyce and Rourke really kicked on after those days.
      Proves without a doubt they were the talented players.
      Non sequitur.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      I'll take the silly goof with the bad hair dancing to b-grade songs any day of the week, thank you
      More fool, you.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      LOL
      Wow that must be a difficult job. Mike's manager!!! Considering his only "job" is living off The Smith's legacy. He hasn't worked a real job since, excluding some random DJ-ing and isolated fill-in at some weddings and debutante balls.
      Might as well be the manager of a corpse.

      Apart of course from Mike's shows on BBC6Music, East Village Radio, JD Set etc etc

      Go back to your pathetic life wanking over pictures of your mum

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Johnny Barleycorn's Avatar
      Johnny Barleycorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      Strawman alert from fuckedupintheheadcorn.

      Watts and Wyman are ancient, and are multimillionaires.
      Joyce and Rourke had the world at their feet in the blush of youth when The Smiths finished ... and found their level.
      They reached their pinnacle on the coattails of Moz and Marr.
      Sad little men, their peak 30 years ago, still reliving every moment.

      Only thing sadder is their pathetic squeaking defender. Give it up, you're embarrassing yourself.
      Jesus, do you know a single thing about the history of rock & roll at all? How old do you think the Stones were when they released what is widely considered their best album, Exile On Main Street, for example? Watts was only 31 and they'd been releasing stuff for almost a decade by then.

      You are embarrassing yourself. "Morrissey doesn't like them so I don't either." You sound like one of those hefty hispanics who latched on to Morrissey in the 90s. When did you discover Moz used to be in a band? Now go away and educate yourself in the history of rock and roll and it might, just might, be worth discussing grown up things with you, you fucking child.

      And log in while you're it, you cowardly little creep.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. 675. ndsfebs's Avatar
      675. ndsfebs -
      yeah, you're right...playing with sinead o'connor, The Pretenders, Public Image Ltd, Suede, Buzzcocks, Julian Cope, Pete Wylie shows they can't play for toffee.


      You Oaf

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Moves Like Mozzer's Avatar
      Moves Like Mozzer -
      So everyone here validates what I tried to stoke:
      For some reason everyone is so defensive of Morrissey vs. former bandmates. The law was on their side. And you all take it as a personal afront. Morrissey is a jerk...over and over its clear.

      Dashboard - sorry loser - Marr wrote the entire music...GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

      I love winding up all of you sad sad 40 year olds still clinging to hope that Morrissey will not let you down next time. But he will with a weak record. And that is where it all sort of gets sad. Listening to Black Cloud and saying it is as good as Suedehead is sort of embarassing ...

      Eat on that bone.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moves Like Mozzer View Post

      Dashboard - sorry loser - Marr wrote the entire music...GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

      I love winding up all of you sad sad 40 year olds still clinging to hope that Morrissey will not let you down next time. But he will with a weak record. And that is where it all sort of gets sad. Listening to Black Cloud and saying it is as good as Suedehead is sort of embarassing ...

      Eat on that bone.
      Dashboard composition (taken directly from their website, I might add): This song was written the first day Modest Mouse began collaborating with Johnny Marr. The guitarist later recalled to Uncut magazine: "On the first night we (Marr and Isaac Brock) just set up two amps opposite each other and just got louder and louder and improvised. I just started playing 'Dashboard,' which I'd been playing a few weeks before and forgotten about. And he instantly started improvising the lyrics, which knocked me out. To see someone produce those lyrics just off the top of his head is amazing: I've never seen it done in such a way.

      As I stated earlier, he HELPED write the song. So there goes that argument you were trying to raise

      also, exactly how has Morrissey let his fans down? I can't wait to hear this one

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      You've unwittingly, hit the nail on the head. There was no, "written contract during the life of the band stating that Joyce was supposed to get more than 10%." There didn't need to be. If Morrissey and Marr wanted to argue that Joyce was entitled to only 10%, then the burden of proof to show the existence of a contract which made that provision was theirs. This was settled as a preliminary issue by the court. In the absence of a contract which stipulated that he was entitled to a less-than-equal share, Joyce was entitled to a full 25%. So, to answer your question, Morrissey (and Marr), "stole Joyce's money," by hoarding for themselves three-fifths of the money to which Joyce was legally entitled.

      See the s.24(1) of Partnership Act 1890 for further details.
      and as I stated earlier: how intrinsic was Joyce to the composition of the Smith's catalogue?

      funny Joyce wasn't whining about not receiving his share of the profits until AFTER the band had split. He was even nice enough to show up on no less than four Morrissey solo songs after he got cheated out of all that money he was supposedly owed

      I mean, he was in the band for more than five years, and attended every gig without fail. So obviously he wasn't too upset with his income until after his meal ticket reached its end

      proven by the fact that this is STILL his meal ticket a quarter-century later.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Thesmithsmorrissey's Avatar
      Thesmithsmorrissey -
      also would like to point out that THIS:

      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      just to say that the interview printed bears no relation to the one that was actually recorded!

      Damian (Mike's manager)

      www.mikejoyce.com
      pretty much proves that Rourke and Joyce must come around here pretty often to see what the fans are saying. Unless Mike's manager just so happened to be arbitrarily perusing the site the day this news was posted

      but I doubt it.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      and as I stated earlier: how intrinsic was Joyce to the composition of the Smith's catalogue?

      funny Joyce wasn't whining about not receiving his share of the profits until AFTER the band had split. He was even nice enough to show up on no less than four Morrissey solo songs after he got cheated out of all that money he was supposedly owed

      I mean, he was in the band for more than five years, and attended every gig without fail. So obviously he wasn't too upset with his income until after his meal ticket reached its end

      proven by the fact that this is STILL his meal ticket a quarter-century later.
      Irrelevant. You asked how Morrissey "stole" Joyce's money, "exactly," and I explained it to you, exactly.

      On the question of whether Joyce was or, "wasn't whining about not receiving his share of the profits until AFTER the band had split," I think you need to go and read the decision given by Judges Gibson, Thorpe & Waller in "Morrisey [sic] & others v. Joyce." It'll acquaint you with the material facts of the case.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
      Apart of course from Mike's shows on BBC6Music, East Village Radio, JD Set etc etc

      Go back to your pathetic life wanking over pictures of your mum

      Good to see Joyce is still haunting this site or perhaps this is really from his 'manager' finding something, something finally to do at last.
      Like anyone would have any knowledge of these "big-time" gigs outside of his manager or Joyce himself and possibly his family if they've finally overcome their acute embarrassment of him.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      I've got more important court cases to focus my time on now. You're old news Mike Joyce aka Mike Gross. Although, the partnership act was not applicable. Ya know.


      Kate2828

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      I love this! Love the blind defenders of their religion....

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thesmithsmorrissey View Post
      and as I stated earlier: how intrinsic was Joyce to the composition of the Smith's catalogue?

      funny Joyce wasn't whining about not receiving his share of the profits until AFTER the band had split. He was even nice enough to show up on no less than four Morrissey solo songs after he got cheated out of all that money he was supposedly owed

      I mean, he was in the band for more than five years, and attended every gig without fail. So obviously he wasn't too upset with his income until after his meal ticket reached its end

      proven by the fact that this is STILL his meal ticket a quarter-century later.
      He was un aware that he was being robbed...until later. But I guess that is the Moz in your ear stating that because he did his job, he should be happy being robbed.

      This is why I have moved on from Morrissey. It is so sad to see. Most artists do not dwell on such junk. They do not need fans to fight their battles.

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Anonymous's Avatar
      Anonymous -
      "because he did his job, he should be happy being robbed."

      Sounds like a Morrissey Line!!!! NICE BROTHER!!!!

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Peterb's Avatar
      Peterb -
      Quote Originally Posted by Moves Like Mozzer View Post
      So everyone here validates what I tried to stoke:
      For some reason everyone is so defensive of Morrissey vs. former bandmates. The law was on their side. And you all take it as a personal afront. Morrissey is a jerk...over and over its clear.

      Dashboard - sorry loser - Marr wrote the entire music...GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

      I love winding up all of you sad sad 40 year olds still clinging to hope that Morrissey will not let you down next time. But he will with a weak record. And that is where it all sort of gets sad. Listening to Black Cloud and saying it is as good as Suedehead is sort of embarassing ...

      Eat on that bone.
      Whether or not Marr (and consequently, Moz's subsequent collaborators) wrote all the music is a matter of debate. Please see the "How great is Morrisseys musical contribution to his songs?"

      0 Not allowed!
    1. Peterb's Avatar
      Peterb -
      Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
      Whether or not Marr (and consequently, Moz's subsequent collaborators) wrote all the music is a matter of debate. Please see the "How great is Morrisseys musical contribution to his songs?"
      Whoops! Sorry, you're talking about Dashboard. I misunderstood your point. You can still check out the thread though as it appears to have gone very quiet.

      0 Not allowed!