Hulme

WhalleyRange

A rare photo of the now demolished Queens Square, Hulme, 1964, the first street Morrissey lived on.
webmedia.php

Loads of pics of old Manchester on this site, but you have to know the street names.
http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/

Thank you very much for posting the photo and the link.
Morrissey was five years old in 1964, must remember many things in there.

Thanks so much for this link. It's enabled me to locate the street in which my Dad was born in 1932 - just opposite Whitworth Gardens, as it happens - and see pictures of it! :)

Wow, I love old pictures like these - thanks for posting it. I never understand why nice community housing gets torn down to make way for 'luxury flats' or something, and yet old factories are left to decay.

The notorious estate that replaced the demolished housing looked like this:
webmedia.php

brilliant! great find WR!

love

Grim

webmedia.php

Eww, this looks awful. Something similar happened to me: the street I had lived in until the age of 4 was a residential area with detached houses with gardens, and they were all demolished to give way to what we call now a "property development". :tears:

edit: Great pics, thanks for sharing them.

Twas a scary place to go at night....

2001940415182906927_rs.jpg

of course, since then they've demolished it all again, and now it's a shopping precinct, with an ASDA (Walmart), an Argos, and some place that sells a lot of tupperware...

This thread's given me an idea...

webmedia.php
And all those middle classed know it all wanker journalists wonder why Morrissey is nostalgic. :rolleyes: Anyone would be suspicious of progress if their childhood environment had been destroyed by modernisers like that.

webmedia.php

Jesus Christ, that brings back memories!!

I remember going to those flats in about 1989 to score some hash (well, I was a student after all) and being sold about a nanogram of soapbar for £13.

Never went back again!

JDHulme1.jpg

JDHulme2.jpg

JDHulme3.jpg

JDHulme4.jpg

Some shots of Hulme from the new Joy Division documentary.

Wow, that does bring back memories! I went to Loreto College (actually it was a Convent back then!) in the late 70s, and saw those flats across the road every day!

JDHulme1.jpg

JDHulme2.jpg

JDHulme3.jpg

JDHulme4.jpg

My aunt lived in the flats in the 70s (William Kent Cresent) The other block was called John Barrie Cresent .If i remember rightly there were 3 blocks but cant remember the name of the third ,Were the flats known as The Bullring ?

A rare photo of the now demolished Queens Square, Hulme, 1964, the first street Morrissey lived on.
webmedia.php

Loads of pics of old Manchester on this site, but you have to know the street names.
http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/

Maybe when Morrissey's King he can raise the current monstrosity and rebuild these houses with architectural accuracy into million dollar flats.

My aunt lived in the flats in the 70s (William Kent Cresent) The other block was called John Barrie Cresent .If i remember rightly there were 3 blocks but cant remember the name of the third ,Were the flats known as The Bullring ?

Or was it Charles Barry (or Barrie )??? My memory fails me !!!

JDHulme1.jpg

JDHulme2.jpg

JDHulme3.jpg

JDHulme4.jpg

I'm also familiar with those places because I lived in Manchester for 10 months in 1989.
Two of my friends lived in a flat in Hulme, but the building was demolished in 1995.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom