What do you think - should I bring my child?

Livia

I have unfortunately been unable to sell a front row ticket that I bought for a friend through a broker. I have a 6 year old daughter who LOVES Morrissey's music. It's a seated venue for the Boston show. What do you think - should I bring her? (she really wants to go). But after some of the comments on this board about people using their kids blah blah blah... I am unsure of what to do. I wouldn't be "using" her to get to Morrissey - as we'd be in the front row anyway. Help!

I have unfortunately been unable to sell a front row ticket that I bought for a friend through a broker. I have a 6 year old daughter who LOVES Morrissey's music. It's a seated venue for the Boston show. What do you think - should I bring her? (she really wants to go). But after some of the comments on this board about people using their kids blah blah blah... I am unsure of what to do. I wouldn't be "using" her to get to Morrissey - as we'd be in the front row anyway. Help!

even at a "seated" Morrissey show, if you have front row I'll bet anything that no one in that front row would be seated. it's gonna be chaos. six is way too young. maybe if you had balcony seats, but in my opinion it would be dangerous to bring her. and it wouldnt be fun for you, since you would have to continually watch to make sure she was okay, and the people around you wouldnt appreciate it. i know if i saw a 6 year old in the front row id be like "wtf?" and be constantly worrying that i would spill my drink on her or accidentally ram into her.

If it were a metal show i might say no and if it were general admisison that might also not be a good idea. No one can really decide this but you .
My daughter is now 15 and has been to over 250 concerts starting at age 4
(with custom earplugs) and her first show was Helmet & Rob Zombie
We have never had problems and she has been in the pit or on the rail of most of those few hundred shows .

Last edited:
If I were you I would take her.
I've seen several children at Moz-shows and I'm sure people around you will consider the fact that she is just a little girl.
Just be careful that you find a good balance in looking after her and enjoying the show! ;)
And if things should get out of hand (which I doubt) there's always security. If you have a little chat with the security people beforehand I'm sure they will keep their eye on her.

I think 6 is a bit too young. It's a long night, lining up, listening to Kristeen Young etc. Post your ticket on craigslist, and bring your daughter in a few years with appropriate ear protection of course.

I'm the mom of a 6-year-old, and I've been to the Orpheum for seated Moz shows a few times, and I would say that it's actually probably OK. . . Boston crowds are fairly sedate, and a person would have to be an absolute a-hole to elbow a 6-year-old to get onstage (two of the three shows I saw at the Orpheum had exactly zero stage invasions).

You know yr kiddo best (and I thought of bringing mine, as well. . .), of course, but it IS a school night, and it IS the night before Halloween. I'm thinking of the implications of two late nights in a row (relatively late; t-or-t'ing is over by 7:30, but that's his usual bedtime and he is always so sugared up and psyched to be out with pals that he rarely gets to bed before 9), possibly missing school, etc.

I am a pretty conservative parent on these sorts of issues, but of course do what you think is best. On the practical matters, I don't think she'd get squished or otherwise injured, but on the parenting side, I'm about 75/25 in favour of leaving her home.

--jeniphir

I have a 7 year old, and I was really considering bringing him to one of the shows near here. It's a fully seated venue, and I had an extra front row seat. He wanted to go, and would have enjoyed it. For about ten minutes. I want to go there at doors, hear all the intro music, hear Kristeen's set, watch the videos, everything. I do not want to leave and take somebody to the potty six times. I do not want to listen to somebody whining he's bored after the third song. I do not want to worry about an invader stepping on my kid's head trying to assault Moz. And, I explained that since we're in the front row, there was a very real possibility he could get pulled up on stage because he is an adorable little thing, and that idea made him very nervous- he is shy. Don't want to traumatize him.

Also, I do not really want to address the question, "Mommy? What's a lazy dyke?" or anything else of that ilk. Morrissey's music is not really intended for 7 year olds. I'm fine with truth and full disclosure, I just like that stuff to come up gradually so I can explain things in palatable, comprehensible chunks.

We had a special "date" and I took him to go see Blue Man Group instead. He was thrilled and it was much more kid-appropriate. Although, They Might Be Giants are touring, I should look into that- my son loves them.

I think the very early teens are a good time to start going to shows- that's when I started, about 12.

So, as a parent of a child about that age, that's my two cents. Hope it's helpful.

We had a special "date" and I took him to go see Blue Man Group instead. He was thrilled and it was much more kid-appropriate. Although, They Might Be Giants are touring, I should look into that- my son loves them.

I think the very early teens are a good time to start going to shows- that's when I started, about 12.

So, as a parent of a child about that age, that's my two cents. Hope it's helpful.

I have a few friends that just saw They Might Be Giants and they said it was a violent and drunk crowd, and that a fight broke out. I was surprised by that, but heads up.

Children should be left at home with a sitter or the co-parent. I'll be at that show, and I think the law says she has to stay at least 200 yards away from me.

(No, honestly... she could get hurt. It's no place for a child.)

I think the law says she has to stay at least 200 yards away from me.

Wow your law is way more lenient than mine, since mine states 50 yards! ;)

Anyhoo, the last time I saw TMBG was....in about 2000 and there were guys stage diving and doing that crowd surf thing, I remember one of the John's saying something about how dumb that was....anyway, TMBG might not be right place, either, for a kid.

I have a 7 year old, and I was really considering bringing him to one of the shows near here. It's a fully seated venue, and I had an extra front row seat. He wanted to go, and would have enjoyed it. For about ten minutes. I want to go there at doors, hear all the intro music, hear Kristeen's set, watch the videos, everything. I do not want to leave and take somebody to the potty six times. I do not want to listen to somebody whining he's bored after the third song. I do not want to worry about an invader stepping on my kid's head trying to assault Moz. And, I explained that since we're in the front row, there was a very real possibility he could get pulled up on stage because he is an adorable little thing, and that idea made him very nervous- he is shy. Don't want to traumatize him.

Also, I do not really want to address the question, "Mommy? What's a lazy dyke?" or anything else of that ilk. Morrissey's music is not really intended for 7 year olds. I'm fine with truth and full disclosure, I just like that stuff to come up gradually so I can explain things in palatable, comprehensible chunks.

That is a perfect answer. I don't have children but I totally see what you are saying.

Thanks for the advice you guys - that's what I was thinking myself. (ie- do I really want to be dealing with her when the whining/potty breaks/boredom sets in). Just needed a little more convincing to put it out of my head. I just don't want to have this ticket go unused and be out all that money as well.

Thanks again- She'll be staying at home with Grammy & Gramps!

Brought two of my son's to a New Order show and they absolutely had a blast!! I took my oldest to Interpol and again, total blast. However, bringing a 6 year old to Morrissey in the front row would be similiar to running of the bulls in Pamplona in Spain.

Get a sitter and have a great time!

Thanks for the advice you guys - that's what I was thinking myself. (ie- do I really want to be dealing with her when the whining/potty breaks/boredom sets in). Just needed a little more convincing to put it out of my head. I just don't want to have this ticket go unused and be out all that money as well.

good choice! she'll enjoy it more in 5 years or so.

but kudos to you on raising your kid on Mozzer. ;)

Good choice, you are a very good parent!

It is seated, yes I say bring her.
standing, def not.

I have a few friends that just saw They Might Be Giants and they said it was a violent and drunk crowd, and that a fight broke out. I was surprised by that, but heads up.

OMG, really? That's odd. They have a kids' album out- I guess it would be wise to see which album they're supporting right now.

I have a friend who took her boys to see White Stripes at Red Rocks and they had an incredible time and were really good. Her kids are steeped in Punk, however. She plays EVERYTHING for them.

I think you should. It's a seated venue, we got the chowds coming in on their hometown, stating that Boston doesn't normaly get too rowdy, so i'd take her...especially since they are seats.

f*** what other people think when it comes to "using their kids". They are just hating because Moz doesn't reach out and touch thier hands.

Back
Top Bottom