current set list

bagface

i think that this is potentially the most well constructed set list he's ever had. especially if he keeps shoplifters. anyone agree? wow i can't wait for indiana :D

Yeah, it's a great set list. As was the previous one a couple of months ago.
As a general rule, the further Moz gets from the release of his latest album, the better the setlists become as instead of playing 8 or 9 songs off the 'current' album, he plays 3 or 4 and adds an extra 5 songs from the vast back catalogue.
That's why I'm quite jealous of those who got/get to see him this year instead of last!

Funny, had dream two days ago that he had added "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" to the setlist on the first San Fransisco date, and here we are:D.

Anyone else noticed how he's played a few songs that were played/haven't been played since the 1995 tour?

Whatever Happens, I Love You (last leg, granted)
Billy Budd
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
London
Shoplifters

Just a casual observation, is all...

This is really more of a Greatest Hits setlist than the last leg... from the reports, it sounds like he's having even more fun, too. That's good. I'd like to think he loves these songs as much as we do.

Anyone else noticed how he's played a few songs that were played/haven't been played since the 1995 tour?

Billy Budd
London
Shoplifters

Yeah, that's true. I wouldn't be suprised if Boxers was added soon.

Billy Budd
London
Shoplifters

For The Record...

Whatever Happens I Love You was last played in 1995
Billy Budd was last played in 2000
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself was last played in 1997
London was last played in 1997
Shoplifters was last played in 2004 (Seems to be played every tour since 1995, except 2002)

Actually, all of these songs were first played in 1995 (London and Shoplifters being solo debuts that year....were of course played in 1986 by The Smiths)

This is really more of a Greatest Hits setlist than the last leg... from the reports, it sounds like he's having even more fun, too. That's good. I'd like to think he loves these songs as much as we do.

I don't think with Morrissey you could ever have a true "Greatest Hits" set list...

Everyone is going to have their favorites and of course if you went by the numbers...

Suedehead
Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Interesting Drug
November Spawned A Monster
Sing Your Life
We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Alma Matters
Irish Blood, English Heart

Were all "Hits" and are excluded from the set list...

He should call it..."I play what I want and what you like" tour

Billy Budd
London
Shoplifters

This is cool! I like those songs. I am glad he has changed it up a bit.

I don't think with Morrissey you could ever have a true "Greatest Hits" set list...

This is true, for a US tour; if you're going by a technical definition of "hits" as songs that charted highest (or at all). . .I am not a follower of any sort of charts, but clearly he's hardly had any songs enter even the top 100 pop/rock charts in the US. I have no idea how the "alternative" or college charts have treated him, though I'm sure it's better than the mainstream ones.

If you define "hits" more loosely, as songs that are most popular with fans, it's also hard to construct a setlist because how on earth would one gauge this??? There are way too many variables.

I thought the whole "Greatest Hits" concept was kind of weird, when applied to Morrissey, just for these reasons.

At any rate, on the current topic--I think the current setlist is pretty great. I like the mix of old and new songs, and that there are a few in there I've never heard played live, and am now looking forward to. I would not mind a bit if "Shoplifters," and even "Everyday is Like Sunday," and/or "How Soon is Now?" were dropped in favour of some less commonly played choons. . .I love those songs, but variety is always good! I'd love to see "Nobody Loves Us" come back. . .

--jeniphir

i don't like the current set list...he should stick to only one of the unreleased songs. not because i am one of those people who does not like listening to new material...it's just that they all sound the same and are, quite frankly, crap. if he just sticks to one of them per show, he has room for more 'good' music...no wait...'great' music...fantastic music. music that brings a tear to the eye--one or both.

I think the current set list is good but not any better than the previous legs of the tour.

Every leg had some great additions that hadn't been played a long time. The first leg had 'Reader Meet Author' and 'My Life Is An Endless Succession' and 'Trouble Loves Me'. Second leg had 'We'll Let You Know' and 'Changed My Plea To Guilty' and 'Disappointed' and 'National Front Disco'. The third leg had 'Last Of The Famous International Playboys' and the new songs.

All great songs.

As for the Smiths songs. The first leg had 'Still Ill' and 'Girlfriend in A Coma' which hadn't been played before. The second/ third leg had 'Panic' and 'William' and 'The Boy With The Thorn' and 'The Queen is Dead'. All great songs.

Now with this tour it has 'Billy Budd' 'Tomorrow' 'Stretch Out' and 'Disco Dancer' same story, all great songs but these are less popular choices than the previous songs.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think that throughout this tour he will keep switching songs in and out as he pleases and suprise us with whatever it is he feels or is compelled to play. And frankly, I love it! It's a great suprise to see what song he may have to taken out and replaced or just added to the setlist. It really does seem like he is having fun.....being himself. I wouldn't be sooo sooo suprised if certain songs no one ever thought he woud play anytime soon he does play. With how uncertain the setlist could be and has been from day to day, show to show, I am viewing it as a great possibility really. Which makes this tour fun and exciting. :) All my opinion though, nothing more, nothing less. :)

This is true, for a US tour; if you're going by a technical definition of "hits" as songs that charted highest (or at all). . .I am not a follower of any sort of charts, but clearly he's hardly had any songs enter even the top 100 pop/rock charts in the US. I have no idea how the "alternative" or college charts have treated him, though I'm sure it's better than the mainstream ones.

If you define "hits" more loosely, as songs that are most popular with fans, it's also hard to construct a setlist because how on earth would one gauge this??? There are way too many variables.

I thought the whole "Greatest Hits" concept was kind of weird, when applied to Morrissey, just for these reasons.

At any rate, on the current topic--I think the current setlist is pretty great. I like the mix of old and new songs, and that there are a few in there I've never heard played live, and am now looking forward to. I would not mind a bit if "Shoplifters," and even "Everyday is Like Sunday," and/or "How Soon is Now?" were dropped in favour of some less commonly played choons. . .I love those songs, but variety is always good! I'd love to see "Nobody Loves Us" come back. . .

--jeniphir

Well, I was going by UK charts...everybody knows the US Charts have always been crap...

Personally, I wish he'd cut The Smiths songs back...Although, Stretch Out and Wait and Death of A Disco Dancer are welcome additons and Shoplifters even though it was a Smiths song, it has in my opinion become his "Anthem" song since it was one of the first Smiths songs he played live (Regularly...not counting the Woverhampton gig) and was only played by The Smiths live once (Not counting the San Remo or TOTP mime performances)....

Yeah, Nobody Loves Us, Lost, The Never Played Symphonies, Late Night Maudlin Street, ANYTHING FROM KILL UNCLE would be welcome additions to the set...as well as holding out for a reapperance after 15+ years for early singles Interesting Drug, Picadilly Palare, Pregnant For The Last Time, and My Love Life....

Anybody want to bet that before the tour is over November Spawned A Monster makes a return?

I was right about Shoplifters coming back again this tour, as it seems to every tour now

Anybody want to bet that before the tour is over November Spawned A Monster makes a return?

Heaven forfend! Now you've gone and jinxed it. . .he's sure to add it back in. I know he particularly likes to sing it, but like the other classics I mentioned, I've heard it enough.

--jeniphir

Well, I was going by UK charts...everybody knows the US Charts have always been crap...

Personally, I wish he'd cut The Smiths songs back...Although, Stretch Out and Wait and Death of A Disco Dancer are welcome additons and Shoplifters even though it was a Smiths song, it has in my opinion become his "Anthem" song since it was one of the first Smiths songs he played live (Regularly...not counting the Woverhampton gig) and was only played by The Smiths live once (Not counting the San Remo or TOTP mime performances)....

Yeah, Nobody Loves Us, Lost, The Never Played Symphonies, Late Night Maudlin Street, ANYTHING FROM KILL UNCLE would be welcome additions to the set...as well as holding out for a reapperance after 15+ years for early singles Interesting Drug, Picadilly Palare, Pregnant For The Last Time, and My Love Life....

I was right about Shoplifters coming back again this tour, as it seems to every tour now

so you want him to play less Smiths and more Kill Uncle? you're insane.

edit: ok not MORE, cuz he hasnt played any, but you know what i mean.

Last edited:
Killer setlist 2 make up 4 cancelled shows..

The band could do just that. B ready we could get a full night of never performed live songs. I'm praying 4, 'Sheila Take A Bow' *drool* I know, 'Sheila..' has been played live before but I want it again.

Re: Killer setlist 2 make up 4 cancelled shows..

The band could do just that. B ready we could get a full night of never performed live songs. I'm praying 4, 'Sheila Take A Bow' *drool* I know, 'Sheila..' has been played live before but I want it again.

Are you dense? When and where do you think Shelia Take A Bow was played?

It has NEVER been played Live

Back
Top Bottom