royal oak show and whos all going

Royal Oak Meetup

Anyone going to the Royal Oak, MI show Oct 19th want to meet up before/during/after the show? Will probably hit Luna for the official Morrissey afterparty. I recently moved to Royal Oak and don't know a lot of people yet, especially Moz fans. :)

Re: Royal Oak Meetup

I'll be going, driving up from Cleveland and hopefully it won't be a get there and come right home event like Ann Arbor was.

Re: Royal Oak Meetup

I'll be going, driving up from Cleveland and hopefully it won't be a get there and come right home event like Ann Arbor was.

LOL I didn't come right home after the Ann Arbor show, though I probably should have. Things got messed up after that show. :eek:

I didn't even know Morrissey was performing in Royal Oak until I saw it in the local paper last week. I just moved to an apartment in Royal Oak a few weeks ago. This is kismet or something. I live about 10 minutes away from the venue, and 10 minutes away from Luna where the afterparty is at, which is my favoritest bar in the universe (well at least Detroit). Plus it's on a Friday with no work the next day!!! There's gonna be partying till 2am (when the bars close) and beyond if I can help it. :D

will morrissey be at Luna? what is the place like? anybody from the columbus ohio area going?

I doubt he'll be there. It's pretty small for a club. All I know is that their website says they're having the "official" Morrissey afterparty, whatever that means. Check the Luna link in my above post. You can see what kind of place it's like from the picture gallery on their website: http://www.lunaroyaloak.com

It's the only real alternative music club in town. The crowd is a great mix of all types of people so it's always interesting. And it's one of those places where you can dance by yourself on the dance floor and not feel like an idiot, because nobody gives a shit. :)

Anyone planning to meet-up before the show?

I'd love to meet up with anybody that wants to before the show. I'm trying to think of a good place on Main St., but I'm drawing a blank right now. I'm still new to town, but I'll post some suggestions soon.

what about something fairly close to the theater? the parking is a bit less crazy when you get west of main st.

When are people planning to get to the theater? Anyone know when doors open? With GA seating, I expect a free-for-all for the dedicated ones to get to the front.

Waukegan and Royal Oak shows - HELP!

I'm travelling on my own from england to Chicago for the Waukegan show and will catch the train to Detroit for the Royal oak show a couple of nights later...
I need advice on where to stay! can anyone recommend hotels in either place???
Also I was going to catch the train to dEtroit - that is the best way?
how far is Waukegan from downtown Chicago? Am I best staying in Chicago itself?
I have a tkt fot the Royal Oak show (Will Call) but not for Waukegan yet as the ticketmaster site doesnt recognise the England address. I will phone the venue box office later today to sort it....

Can anyone help with a few tips on getting around/where to stay/meet up with fellow Moz fans at either gig?
i will be bringing my red Morrissey flag which has been seen at shows across the UK and Europe and says "There is A Light That Never Goes Out" !
Dickie

Dickie,

Make sure to take the train from Chicago all the way to Royal Oak. If you stop in Detroit, you'll be dumped off far from downtown and with no way to get around. The station in Royal Oak is just a couple of blocks from the theater and RO is a nice little town where you can walk to just about anything. The one tricky thing might be where to stay. I don't think there's a lot of hotel options (at least not good ones) in the immediate area. Might want to check that out online or someone from RO can check in and report what might be available.

Hotel options:

I just did a quick check and there's a Travelodge on Woodward in RO. Not too bad as far as location but the reviews were middling. Not sure what you're looking for price range. To get something close by, look for Madison Heights or Birmingham or Troy. All 3 border RO and shouldn't be more than 3 - 4 miles from the theater. Mass transit is pretty sketchy in this part of the Detroit area but the hotels may be able to hook you up with a shuttle. Or if you know where you're going to stay, I'm sure someone locally would be willing to give you a lift.

hey thanks for all your help and advice. I will try the Travelodge in RO. location suits me best. And its not like I'm going to be in the room much! hey glad I can get the train right thru to RO - thats good news! Travelling on my own so need all the advice i can get!!! cheers dickie

Re: Waukegan and Royal Oak shows - HELP!

how far is Waukegan from downtown Chicago? Am I best staying in Chicago itself?

Waukegan is quite far from downtown Chicago (~40 miles, or 1 to 1.5 hours driving). (See it in Google Maps.) It's near the fringe of suburbia, and there's not much to do around there. However, there is a Metra train station (see map; Waukegan is at the far north of the UP-N route) about four blocks east of the theater, so you could stay anywhere from downtown Chicago to the North Shore towns and still take the train in and back (the last train leaves Waukegan at 11:55). I can't give you hotel advice, because I lived in Chicago and never had to stay in a hotel! The further out you go from downtown, the cheaper it is, but you don't want to miss seeing downtown Chicago if you've never been there. There's a very large youth hostel right in the south end of the Loop.

You may want to ask this question on its own thread, because not everyone who's going to the Waukegan show is also going to the Royal Oak one.

what about something fairly close to the theater? the parking is a bit less crazy when you get west of main st.

When are people planning to get to the theater? Anyone know when doors open? With GA seating, I expect a free-for-all for the dedicated ones to get to the front.

Doors open at 7pm, show starts at 8pm, don't know if there's an opening act, but there usually is.

If you didn't find it yet, here's station info. for Royal Oak:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Station/Station_Page&code=ROY

and

http://stations.amtrak.com/amtrak/DetailedAreaMap.jsp?txtStationID=ROY&ssid=84&cid=1080080551030

take note of when the trains leave Chicago and arrive in Detroit. It's about 6 hours total (you pick up an hour crossing from Central time to Eastern time heading east) so you want to make sure that you catch one of the first 2 trains. I would shoot for the earlier train, to be safe. That will give you time to get to your hotel and have a couple of hours in RO. There's plenty of places to eat, get coffee, browse stores, etc. The library is just east of Main Street if you need to pop in to get Internet.

http://www.ropl.org/

and they're open until 6 on Friday. Weather-wise, it's been in the 50s and 60s with some rain so pack a jacket and hat if you plan on doing a bit of walking. Michigan is notorious for weather changes so that's all subject to change on a moments notice (we went for 90s to 50s in 2 days).

Back
Top Bottom