Ticket brokers -- Gamble or Sure Thing?

Musings

Ubermember
Hey guys,

I'm a bit naive in this area and wondered if you all could shed some light on this for me:

As far as ticket brokers go (online), are they reliable, generally, or shady and undependable? Which to avoid, and which are ok (even though they charge outrageous prices)?

I really, really want a few good tickets for the seated shows, and I kinda wanted to know the best way to go about it...

THANKS!!!

StubHub is reliable. I bought a ticket and the seller backed out... StubHub gave me a comparable ticket and a partial refund. They have a complete guarantee.

Also, ask here. Many of us have extras. Post in Marketplace.

stubhub is the only broker i use...guaranteed, reliable...Owned by Ebay so you don't have to worry about it being a shady business 'offshore' somewhere...many tickets on stubhub are actually from stubhub directly...not a third party reseller. yes stubhub has deals with venues, promoters, etc to sell tickets at a premium...

Thanks guys, I will look into them. :)

What about other sites like ticketliquidator, etc.? Reliable or scam-ish?

I've used Ticketliquidator twice and had no problems, but I feel more comfortable with Stubhub b/c their guarantee seems more ironclad. However you can sometimes save money on Ticketliquidator, and the scalpers seem to post the same tickets on all the broker sites. If you need a single, for some reason you're more likely to be able to buy single seats on Ticketliquidator.

I've used Ticketliquidator twice and had no problems, but I feel more comfortable with Stubhub b/c their guarantee seems more ironclad. However you can sometimes save money on Ticketliquidator, and the scalpers seem to post the same tickets on all the broker sites. If you need a single, for some reason you're more likely to be able to buy single seats on Ticketliquidator.

Thanks Claudia :D

If its a major broker then its reliable, since you are making a legal transaction with your credit card info and all that stuff. They cant really screw you over because if they did that to everyone they would be out of business.

Just read the guarantee policy very closely. I bought one ticket (for the Birmingham, AL show, I think) from a smaller regional broker. When I bought it, it was during the time when several shows had been cancelled due to M's illness and we were waiting day to day to hear whether the rest of the tour would resume. So I bought the ticket knowing full well that the show stood a good chance of being cancelled- unfortunately the broker's policy was that if the show was cancelled, I would have cash credit with them, but no refund.

It all worked out, of course, but I would rather have bought from Stubhub where they will refund everything if the show is cancelled.

And another good point- I pay for everything with American Express, which pretty much guarantees everything anyway. I've never had to call on them, but I understand if you're going nowhere with the vendor, AmEx will step in.

Not Just American Express but all CC companies are bound by the user agreements to intervene in problem sales . All it takes is 1 phone call to get the process started.

Stub Hub and eBay as they have similar guarentees...

In fact I believe Stub Hub is owned by eBay.

In the last month I have used either of them for three seperate ticket purchases. You will pay a premium but... whatever... Just imagine the ticket was originally more expensive than it is.

I've used Great Tickets http://www.greattickets.com/ several times to score pit tickets or GA tickets to LA-area shows over the years and have had nothing but positive experiences.

One time they even sent me a hand-written personalized thank you note!

Yes, you pay more (though I have gotten what I consider to be great deals.. like $110 for a coveted pit ticket to one of the Pasadena shows earlier this year... face value was $75) but if you gotta go.... well, you gotta go.

Bottom line is not to rush into a purchase (unless its an amazing deal like above) because all these ticket brokers are linked into nation-wide systems, and inventory changes hourly. The closer the show is, the lower the prices are. And sometimes they make mistakes, like thinking a "GA-Standing" ticket might not be all that valuable and, hence, pricing it low - when in reality, in Morrissey-land its the Holy Grail of an otherwise seated concert.

And - of course - there is always Ticketmaster. They routinely release amazing tickets just days before the show. Keep checking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom