w87th street-hammerstein ?

dogdayafternoon

hi just wondering what the upper west side of manhatten is like? seen a ok hotel on w87th street, just wondering is this a ok distance to the hammerstein and back? easy transport etc, also what is manhatten like walk around at night? if i decided to walk back to the hotel after the gig? cheers.:confused:

hi just wondering what the upper west side of manhatten is like? seen a ok hotel on w87th street, just wondering is this a ok distance to the hammerstein and back? easy transport etc, also what is manhatten like walk around at night? if i decided to walk back to the hotel after the gig? cheers.:confused:

I can't comment on the safety of the walk, but that hotel is more than 50 blocks away. For those of you who aren't accustomed to American-style town grid layouts, 8 blocks usually equal 1 mile (1.6 km). So you're looking at a 6-mile walk each way, and every street crossing will be hazardous. The subway is cheap, ubiquitous, and fast.

walking up from Hammerstein to w87 street is safe. w87 street is the upper west side, very safe neighborhood. the entire walk up you will be surrounded by people and in a safe neighborhood. with the show getting out probably around 11pm, you will have many hours left of many many people on the streets, although it doesn't matter because almost all of manhattan is safe at all hours. it may seem like a far walk...well it is, but i've done it before. from 34th to 84th it's 2.5 miles, though the people on the street will slow you down. if you are on vacation and want to walk around, go for it. you will see an major part of town. i would walk broadway all the way up to 84th street..busy street with a lot to see.

don't forget to check out Central Park during the day...

the most i've walked was from Park Slope Brooklyn, over Brooklyn bridge into lower manhattan and all the way up to Central Park. that was like 7-8 miles.

Watch out for the nannies, they can be quite pushy with their strollers/prams.

lol...you can't possibly live in New York. are you serious?

the dude is on vacation, what the hell is there to see underground in the sewers--i mean subway...

So I'm an idiot. I've only been to Manhattan a couple of times. You're right about the distance--Manhattan's blocks must be much more closely spaced than in other American cities.

many thanks to all the above much appreciated , must say love some of the banter between you guys , proper funny .[think i might do the walking bit after all [yes i do want to see central park it is on the list], might sound a bit morbid to some, but being a big beatles i fan fancy walking down to the dakota building to see the last place lennon stood in this life, is it around 72nd street, anyway this is one englishman looking forward to it all ,thanks again.:)

many thanks to all the above much appreciated , must say love some of the banter between you guys , proper funny .[think i might do the walking bit after all [yes i do want to see central park it is on the list], might sound a bit morbid to some, but being a big beatles i fan fancy walking down to the dakota building to see the last place lennon stood in this life, is it around 72nd street, anyway this is one englishman looking forward to it all ,thanks again.:)

i walked by dakota building all the time (worked at the ABC building) without realizing what happened there... no big deal.. just a building now... but it's right across the street from an entrance to central park...so you can stop by there before you check out central park. down the street is madonna's nyc apartment...not sure if she still lives there now but i was once inside her building...not impressed.

it's amazing but people will pay top dollar to live in nyc but majority of people in the US have better looking living conditions than some of these multi-million apartments...location location location

so get out at penn station when you want to go to hammerstein? and then ? some walkingdirections from the subway station to the hammersteinvenue

please

directtions from Penn Station to the Hammerstein are quite simple actually..when you get to the main floor of Penn Station after exiting your train or subway and walk up the steps, look for the exit marked 8th avenue..when you go up the escalator and out the door this will put you on 8th Ave and 33rd street..

Walk towards 34th Street..make a left at 34th street and its there on the right hand side between 8th ave and 9th ave..its literally 1 1/2 blocks away!

sistasheila...you don't really need directions from us...get all the addresses you need (venue, hotel, etc...there are websites for all these places) and google map them (or use yahoo maps or mapquest if you prefer) and then print the map. there, now you know where hammerstein is you can get there from anywhere...also buy a map to manhattan one you are in nyc...they are everywhere. Manhattan is very easy to follow because--except for way down in lower manhattan--it is a simple grid. Avenues run uptown/downtown (north/south) and the numbered streets run west/east (everything west of 5th Avenue has a 'w' before it ie w54th street, everything east of 5th avenue has an 'e' before it...e 54th street)

google maps and study nyc and some of your anxiety should go away.

sistasheila...you don't really need directions from us...get all the addresses you need (venue, hotel, etc...there are websites for all these places) and google map them (or use yahoo maps or mapquest if you prefer) and then print the map. there, now you know where hammerstein is you can get there from anywhere...also buy a map to manhattan one you are in nyc...they are everywhere. Manhattan is very easy to follow because--except for way down in lower manhattan--it is a simple grid. Avenues run uptown/downtown (north/south) and the numbered streets run west/east (everything west of 5th Avenue has a 'w' before it ie w54th street, everything east of 5th avenue has an 'e' before it...e 54th street)

google maps and study nyc and some of your anxiety should go away.

Yep, grid system all the way. My favorite maps are the laminated foldable pocket size ones- they unfold to A3 or A4 (letter or legal) and they're great because you can easily refold so the part you need is facing out so you don't look like a tourist! I have a well-worn Chicago one that I keep in my car. They cost about $6 and you'll find them all over once you get here.

I dread looking like a clueless tourist. I don't mind being a visitor, but I am not and have never been a clueless tourist. That's my little travel phobia. Better to just pick a direction and walk until you figure out where you're going. And when you discover you've just walked three blocks in the wrong direction, go down a block before going back so you see different sights! Totally fun to go the wrong way, anyway.

I still have my Chicago lamenated map from went I went to the Aragon show last November. Those things come in handy and can easily be found at Barnes and Noble..

Yep, grid system all the way. My favorite maps are the laminated foldable pocket size ones- they unfold to A3 or A4 (letter or legal) and they're great because you can easily refold so the part you need is facing out so you don't look like a tourist! I have a well-worn Chicago one that I keep in my car. They cost about $6 and you'll find them all over once you get here.

I dread looking like a clueless tourist. I don't mind being a visitor, but I am not and have never been a clueless tourist. That's my little travel phobia. Better to just pick a direction and walk until you figure out where you're going. And when you discover you've just walked three blocks in the wrong direction, go down a block before going back so you see different sights! Totally fun to go the wrong way, anyway.

Also, when you're looking at a map you run the risk of not noticing that you're walking past Morrissey. As I did, on Michigan Ave, while looking at my nerdy map I printed of directions to a movie theater the day before the Aragon. Just FYI.... :p I'm going to do my best to memorize the area around the Hammerstein just in case.

i walked by dakota building all the time (worked at the ABC building) without realizing what happened there... no big deal.. just a building now... but it's right across the street from an entrance to central park...so you can stop by there before you check out central park. down the street is madonna's nyc apartment...not sure if she still lives there now but i was once inside her building...not impressed.

it's amazing but people will pay top dollar to live in nyc but majority of people in the US have better looking living conditions than some of these multi-million apartments...location location location

So you tried to knock me regarding my knowledge of layaway and ticket distribution yet you live in NYC and didn't know about the Dakota??? :eek: And you consider yourself a New Yawker...tsk tsk....

Last edited:
upper west is a nice area. it is only a 7-8 min subway from the 1 train to 34th going downtown

thanks for the info; looking at booking early next week, like the look of the hotel on w87th street or one i have just seen on e17th street what's that area like?, just also wandering how full on is the search- pat down at a place like the hammerstein; not bothered really sometimes happens in the uk; might try and get a camera in on one night?:D

Back
Top Bottom