Help:Subway TIXs NY Q?

sistasheila

tjekket
i wonder if i choose a hotel which is more far away from the venue (Harlem) because the hostels who are nearer near MOMA/ Natural history museumare also more expensive but I wonder if the distance of the card may be bigger in reality i seems quite near.. but a few kilometers between couldnt make such a big difference in ticket subway prices prices?can anybody help me so anybody know also is there a subway plan where i can type in the start and end and they tell me how many minutes it will take
similar to this from the berlin subway plans wherere you can type in directions
example:
http://www.bvg.de/

hey sista,

I am not too familiar with Harlem. I've only been there once or twice. I'm not sure how long it will take to get from there to midtown where the venue is, but the ticket price for the subway is $2.00 per ride to go anywhere. Even if you have to switch trains along the way its still just $2.00.

Go here for the NYC subway site. There is a map and a lot of good info.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

I hope this helps.

Hello,

I suggest that you stay at a hostel in Broooklyn or Queens and investigate the area you are going to stay in. Look on Craigslist for rooms to rent for one week - in nyc - not in harlem.

It might be post Gulliani New York... but parts of harlem are ROUGH - esp at night.

be careful.

I've lived fairly close to West Harlem for the past 2.5 years and I find it very safe. The East side of Harlem is more shady. You can find very reasonable places to stay in Harlem and be less than 10 minutes away from the venue (the A express train goes from 125th St. straight to 59th St.).

If you have a specific location you're considering, I'd be glad to help comment on it if I can.

i did wonder about harlem too but i thought that it would be hmm political incorrect to assume that i harlem is a dangerous place cause its harlem..you could get robbed in manhattan too
also post guiliani -ny seems to be quite a "police state" nowadays so there are really no more "no go areas" in ny-i heard...
also i read reviews that the hostels in harlem are not located in a very quiet neighbourhood and the staff seems to be unfriendly and also an serious mice problem...jazz on villa that is so dont stay there...

if you're reluctant to stay in harlem, then for a little extra money (to buy you that sense of security), why not look into the larchmont hotel (west village) or the chelsea hotel (as someone else suggested)?

they're both relatively inexpensive options, not as cheap as staying in harlem of course, but you'll be in very safe neighborhoods - and can find alot of things to do pre- and post- morrissey concert.

and the commute from both neighborhoods to hammerstein will be pretty quick and easy.

and rather than buy a single subway pass @ $2 each ride... if you're attending all five shows and expect to explore and enjoy nyc, then buy a weekly unlimited metrocard for $24. it'll let you ride the subway as many times as you want for 7 days.

hope this helps.

make sure you get on at front of the train because trains going north and south (up and down manhattan) get disconnected at 42 street and the back half goes East. and inbound (those coming from Queens) gets reconnected on the North-South line. except on the weekends, in which case it's reverse. also, during rush hours, the red line switches over to the blue line, which itself gets switched over to the orange line...which is sometimes referred to as the Yellow line. However, there is an actual Yellow line so you don't want to get confused with that one because it takes you to the worst part of town and far far away from where you want to be.

Good Luck...watch out for thieves.

:D

make sure you get on at front of the train because trains going north and south (up and down manhattan) get disconnected at 42 street and the back half goes East. and inbound (those coming from Queens) gets reconnected on the North-South line. except on the weekends, in which case it's reverse. also, during rush hours, the red line switches over to the blue line, which itself gets switched over to the orange line...which is sometimes referred to as the Yellow line. However, there is an actual Yellow line so you don't want to get confused with that one because it takes you to the worst part of town and far far away from where you want to be.

I think I'll just walk the mile from my hotel to the venue!

you did confuse me totally.. that sounds pretty complicated -guess a erent myself a bike is there a place where i can rent bikes in manhattan?

you did confuse me totally.. that sounds pretty complicated -guess a erent myself a bike is there a place where i can rent bikes in manhattan?

Hey Sistasheila,

I think WinkWink was just kidding!
No need to rent a bike, really.
But why stay so far away?
I'm staying at the www.chelseahostel.com, which is about a mile away and really cheap. No, it's not the Hilton or anything but I know some Dutch people who stayed there before (and returned!) and it's not as bad as many other hostels. Plus they have free pizza on Wednesdays!

Viele Grüße!
José

yes when i read that i was thinking that it sounds very unlikely but on the other hand i am kind of overcredulous...

Hey Sistasheila,

I think WinkWink was just kidding!
No need to rent a bike, really.
But why stay so far away?
I'm staying at the www.chelseahostel.com, which is about a mile away and really cheap. No, it's not the Hilton or anything but I know some Dutch people who stayed there before (and returned!) and it's not as bad as many other hostels. Plus they have free pizza on Wednesdays!

Viele Grüße!
José
thanks
but tripadvisor: one visitor of the chelsea stated
Another downside was that I also had to share the room with a family of cockroaches

uurghhh

YEs i was only kidding...the subway does not do the things i said it does. Many tourists survive the subway...every station has a free map you can pick up at the booth, it's very easy to read and view, and except for a few exceptions, the train routes are simple and direct. you will be going to Times Square area which is where Hammerstein is located so it's very easy to get there.

BUy a week pass...you will be free to use the subway as many times you wish!!! a great deal...the week pass (along with single rides, month passes, day pass) is available at the ATM-like machines at every station. you will need a credit card, debit card, or cash.

Last edited:

if you are scared of NYC and its subways, i don't see you surviving the NYC traffic on a bike. all the people and cars in midtown....good luck with the bike idea.

i'm sure there are places to rent a bike.

Back
Top Bottom