sweet & tender hooligans

dolly

has anybody seen this band? i saw them in the states last week & thought they were fantastic. i was ver ver drunk at the time - so dont trust my judgement.

also - the gig was packed with latinos (around 90% of people there) and they did this crazy moshing dance thing. does mozza get that at his gigs?

Yes, I saw Sweet and Tender Hooligans at the Casbah in San Diego, California a couple of years ago. Now and then, when the lights hit him just right, and if I squinted a bit, the singer really looked like Morrissey! And he got a lot of Moz's gestures exactly right - it was pretty hilarious. Almost spooky at times.

After the Hooligans' performance, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke did a DJ set. It was pretty surreal. They were both surrounded by (mostly female) Smiths fans the whole time, and were both obviously very drunk. (I read later somewhere that the Hooligans' singer had taken them down to Tijuana where they drank a lot.) Joyce was out on the dance floor a lot of the time, pogoing up and down and dancing with some of the women. I could have approached them and talked to them, but I was fine just watching the spectacle!

The audience was about 25% Latino/a, I'd say ... not as high a proportion as at Morrissey's San Diego show (at SDSU) in 2002, which must have been at least 50%. I sat next to an old Mexican woman who sang along perfectly to every song!

I was there too, the highlight for me that evening was talking to Joyce. SATH don't seem to have a good reputation. I read a lot of bad things about them, but not surprisingly, all from this board. They're just a tribute band like any other, not someone trying to fill a singer's (Moz) shoes in real life.
And Spectral, what made it surreal was the venue, no bigger than a garage. One of San Diego's finest though!

Re: Moose!!!!

poprenaissance said:
f***ing well done, listening to moose! one of the best, most underrated, bands EVER. "uptown invisible" is one of the most stunning pop songs ever.

Woot! Isn't lastfm wonderful? It's how I found them. I really love their stuff. I should give emusic some credit as well. :)

Edit: I've just been to your site. Who knew? I didn't! Good stuff, surely you must like The Clientele? Ok mods, sorry this is so off topic....

Last edited:

Hidden By Rags said:
Woot! Isn't lastfm wonderful? It's how I found them. I really love their stuff. I should give emusic some credit as well. :)

Edit: I've just been to your site. Who knew? I didn't! Good stuff, surely you must like The Clientele? Ok mods, sorry this is so off topic....

last.fm IS pretty damn cool. you just cannae go wrong with moose. you've gotta hear the ep's if you haven't already.

yep, LOVE the clientele. alasdair sent me an email once telling me he liked our tunes - i damn near fainted. :o

poprenaissance said:
last.fm IS pretty damn cool. you just cannae go wrong with moose. you've gotta hear the ep's if you haven't already.

yep, LOVE the clientele. alasdair sent me an email once telling me he liked our tunes - i damn near fainted. :o

Lucky!
I read an interview where he said he didn't know whether they would keep recording or not, his mantra being that each record could be the last record. I do hope they keep it going.

Back
Top Bottom