Soul Music

Denia

pirate wench
anyone here into soul music? as in, the old black soul music from the 60's and 70's? i come to ask this question because i found myself listening to the song "easy like sunday morning" by lionel richie and the commodores a while back and ever since i've been very interested in it. well, i used to listen to it when i was very young because of my father, but then i got into rock and urban music and... i guess i forgot about my roots for some time. so.. any comments? favorite tracks? artists? stories? anything?

Soul music is absolutely fantastic, if ure interested in hearing proper soul music listen to people like otis redding, aretha franklin and al green these are fantastic soul artists

Re: good stuff

It's been my opinion that soul music is the greatest music in the world.

Lately I've been listening to Curtis Mayfield and The Chi-Lites.
All time great is Marvin Gaye of course, pure genius. My favorite album is "Here, My Dear".

Big soul fan here.

I have crazy amounts of James Brown CD's - just about everything from between '65 and '76 is essential if you're into soul.

Sam Cooke has, probably, the greatest voice of all time, though Elvis has to be up there too. Sam Cooke has some amazing live records but even a Greatest Hits comp will give you a taste of why he was so great.

A good sampler that I like is the soundtrack to the movie Dead Presidents. Check it out they have a bit of everything.

zom

dazzak said:
Soul music is vile.

Only to be out vilefied by Morrissey/Smiths fans vile insistence on using the word vile.

zom

zom said:
Only to be out vilefied by Morrissey/Smiths fans vile insistence on using the word vile.

zom
Oh, don't reinforce the false maxim that Americans have no sense of irony.

dazzak said:
Oh, don't reinforce the false maxim that Americans have no sense of irony.

Or the one where Brits have no sense of sarcasm.

zom

pubrockcoma said:
it just so happens that on another forum i post on we've been doing compilations / mix cds for people, i made up a few compilations, one a soul comp, another a Northern Soul comp.

enjoy.

soul

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F79LXLF1

Northern Soul

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KHK9GJEJ
Cheers for that.I've always had something of a passing fancy for soul/northern soul, but I never knew enough about it to actually get some for myself. I've said to Mrs dolan on occasion that I'd love to have a decent compilation. so thank you very much for your efforts. i'm listening to Kim Weston - Take me in your arms as i type, and enjoying it to. Thanks once again.

dazzak said:
Irish, British - they're all the same thing anyway.
Not to get all nationalistic on you, but I think you'll find they are not. Quite different in fact, in more ways than one.And I'm sure the Welsh,Scottish and English are as proud of there national identities as I am of mine.

Joe Dolan said:
Not to get all nationalistic on you, but I think you'll find they are not. Quite different in fact, in more ways than one.And I'm sure the Welsh,Scottish and English are as proud of there national identities as I am of mine.
I was only pulling your leg, Joe.

Back
Top Bottom