The Beautiful South anyone?

mjp

Retired Mozerator
I have, almost by accident, nearly as many TBS cd's as I do Moz without ever really thinking about it.

I wondered, with the vivid northerness of their collective personna and the top quality lyrics of Paul Heaton, with his bone dry humour, do many Moz fans find themselves enjoying TBS?

I've seen them live once and they were great - loads of energy and TWO encores (note to Moz.....) and I'm due to see them again in a few weeks.

Just wondered that's all?

vulgar said:
I absolutlely love The Beautiful South. :D ;)

Excellent - do you have their new album? I bought it last week and after about 3 listens fell in love with it.

Think it might be my favourite of theirs (I've followed them since "Welcome To" which I originally had on vinyl and keep threatening to re-purchase on cd).

I used to like them upto 0898 but after that they are truly awful, I don't listen to them anymore.
I think they should give up, that new single is the shits but what else would you expect from something that hails from Hull.

i quite like a lot of their early stuff. however, my band opened for them in s.f. around 92/93 and they were just complete pricks. everyone but the horn section, who were totally class. they were horribly drunk, belligerent and egotistical.

great show, though. :rolleyes:

I've been listening to them since the first album. Some of my all time favorite lyrics. Terribly, terribly English and completely forgotten about(or ignored) here in the states.

I love them! :D. 'Prettiest Eyes' is the sweetest song in the whole universe...
I like a lot their new DVD 'Live In The Forest', it includes a superb version of 'Woman In The Wall' and many of their hits. 'Superbi' is slowly growing on me...

B000BQJO5U.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

EDITED out - reason - "erm, cause I forgot that I started this thread in the first place ....."

Last edited:
I saw the Housemartins - no I didn't!

Once saw Paul Heaton and AN Other (not Fat Boy Slim) from the Housemartins in a nite club in Manchester - The Venue, as I remember - when I was living there; must have been the late-ish 80s.

I think it was mid-week as there were about 20 in the club. Me + my mate stood about 6 yards away - us propping up 1 end of the bar, them propping up the other end (or so he remineds me). Couldn't be arsed going over tho'.

A year or 2 earlier (or was it later? - those were heady days) we had tickets to see H/martins in Manchester (The International, I think) and received an offer we could not refuse outside the venue to sell the tickets. Ended up going into town instead.

Not an exemplary endorsement of the music is it? Nevertheless, i think he's/they've done some good stuff over the years, interspersed with some mediocre/poor stuff.

Re: I saw the Housemartins - no I didn't!

Wild Oscar said:
Not an exemplary endorsement of the music is it? Nevertheless, i think he's/they've done some good stuff over the years, interspersed with some mediocre/poor stuff.

yes the music is sometimes mediocre but I believe the standard of lyrics is very high indeed whatever the music - the same cannot always be said of Moz.

Definite No I'm afraid - Can't stand them - Saw the Housemartins supporting Billy Bragg in about 1984 (?). They weren't too bad but when they became a bit more exposed I realised that I intensely disliked Paul Heatons voice.

mjp said:
I have, almost by accident, nearly as many TBS cd's as I do Moz without ever really thinking about it.

I wondered, with the vivid northerness of their collective personna and the top quality lyrics of Paul Heaton, with his bone dry humour, do many Moz fans find themselves enjoying TBS?

I've seen them live once and they were great - loads of energy and TWO encores (note to Moz.....) and I'm due to see them again in a few weeks.

Just wondered that's all?

LOVE 36D AND ROTTERDAM I THINK THEY ARE A CLASS BAND! INCIDENTALLY PAUL HEATON WAS AT THE BRIDGEWATER HALL GIG :cool:

WestDerby-Tim said:
LOVE 36D AND ROTTERDAM I THINK THEY ARE A CLASS BAND! INCIDENTALLY PAUL HEATON WAS AT THE BRIDGEWATER HALL GIG :cool:

hey WestDerby-Tim, you, like I would *possibly* appreciate the fact that Paul is from Birkenhead? Just like me!

poprenaissance said:
i quite like a lot of their early stuff. however, my band opened for them in s.f. around 92/93 and they were just complete pricks. everyone but the horn section, who were totally class. they were horribly drunk, belligerent and egotistical.

great show, though. :rolleyes:

I was at that show.

My interest in Beautiful South left with Briana Corrigna, though I did buy "Miaow". I have every single up to and including the ones from that album as well.

beau said:
I was at that show.

My interest in Beautiful South left with Briana Corrigna, though I did buy "Miaow". I have every single up to and including the ones from that album as well.

The latest "replacement" for Briana (Alison) has an amazingly clear and pure voice. When she sings "Need A Little Time" she makes the song her own.

mjp said:
The latest "replacement" for Briana (Alison) has an amazingly clear and pure voice. When she sings "Need A Little Time" she makes the song her own.
i thought the last covers album was great fun, Brianna the sexiest red head of them all

I think me and 3 others were the only people who bought her solo album, which flopped so horribly she retreated back to Ireland and does voiceover work now for commercials.

i liked a lot of their early stuff and have just got the new album superbi which has really grown on me.
i am going to see them at the hammersmith apollo in december.

Back
Top Bottom