Anyone into Rap/Urban music here?

absolutely. as a native of new york city, i just can't help being an urban music enthusiast. that nas track is cool. i like nas alot, but i'm more fond of his rival, jay-z. i was about to start a thread on rap/hip hop music, thanks for doing my job lol. it'll be nice to see moz fans that are into this.

i have been known to delve in and out of rap etc, but im amusic lover so i like all music for the most part

I like the sugarhill gang and sir mix-a-lot

Sami said:
I like the sugarhill gang and sir mix-a-lot
old school, are we? yeah, me too. urban music nowadays is mostly pointless. sure every once in a while we have some good tracks, but for the major part all i hear are songs about money and women and just overall complete nonesense. they've taken the fun and meaning out of it...

so we can't like certain music because morrissey doesn't like it? uummm... didn't know that rule. thanks for telling me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Denia said:
so we can't like certain music because morrissey doesn't like it? didn't know that rule. thanks for tellin me. :rolleyes:

Did I say that? Did I even think that?
I hate rap/urban music because it is overblown nonsense without a tune. Meaningless trash, if you don't believe me just listen to the words.

Anyway, talking about it on here is like going on an Arsenal web site and discussing Tottenham.
This is a refuge for those of us who know what Morrissey stands for, what he represents. And rap it ain't!

Yo! mofo! Like whatever bro! Where's me bling?

i did say "urban music nowadays is mostly pointless" in the post above you. yes, most of it is crap but it's because of the people NOT the music itself. real fans of rap music are not those stupid baggy-pant kids with the gold chains trying to put the sufix "izzle" at the end of each word. rap is street poetry. it's ignorant of you to judge something you know nothing about. why bother... ?

"...hang the radio DJ, because the music that they constantly play /
it says nothing to me about my life, hang the blessed DJ"

I know very little about rap 'music' because I don't like it. I don't like rugby or cricket either, and I know it without studying it.
Okay, if there are some 'rappers' that do have something interesting and unique to say about my life, who are they?
I'll take a listen.

umm.. tupac shakur to say the least. yes, most of his music is about senless things like violence and sex but only because the record company encouraged that sort of behavior to sell records (which unfortunally lead to his death) and that's what they do with ALL rap artists. those wankers only want someone they can sell, but the hell with them. like i said earlier in the thread, jay-z is one of my favorites. kanye west is also a good modern day urban artist. but if you want quality lyrics you have to look for underground tracks. the music the damn record companies don't want you to hear because it's too "poetic" and not "gangster-like". don't listen to that crap they play on radio stations... it pisses me off when people think that's what rap music really is. but maybe, i just appreciate it more because i grew up around it, here in Brooklyn NY. it's just part of me... i knew rap and hip hop before i knew moz.

i also recommend reading tupac's book of poetry. great read.

Helen Bach said:
I hate rap/urban music because it is overblown nonsense without a tune. Meaningless trash, if you don't believe me just listen to the words.

That statement is the exact equivalent of "I hate Morrissey because he's so miserable, and just whines and moans. The songs are tuneless dirges. It's depressing rubbish." Which is not an uncommon opinion outside the Morrissey fanbase, actually.

There are plenty of rap artists with a lot to say, much of it anti-drugs and anti-violence. Check out De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B and Rakim, Stetsasonic, Digable Planets, Missy Elliot, Bahamadia, Beastie Boys, Arrested Development, etc. for artists with positive messages.

And for my money, Eminem is the closest thing rap has to Morrissey. Deliberately more shocking, yes - but he's making quite profound statements about our culture, and is one of the only other artists to make me actually laugh out loud. If you think his lyrics are "meaningless", you obviously haven't been listening very carefully.

Last edited:
Don't like all this modern r n B stuff... Kanye West is ok though.

Quite like Dizzee Rascal and Roots MAnuva

But De La Soul, Public Enemy, Run DMC.... Can't fault that....

hool' said:
rap is Crap.
full stop.

I find this chat amusing, in particular Helen Bachs' comments. I mean, not everyone likes music based more on rhythm, beats and flow, but to slam a whole style of music makes no sense. Why is Urban music the single largest selling Genre in the world? That says to me it talks to more people than certain other genres. there is bound to be a lot of bad as well as good things coming out.

The attitude that urban is all crap is just as ridiculous as saying all Rock music is crap, (when there are like 1 billion different sub genres of it to choose from) I must admit certain comments here are typically ignorant and cliched, but expected.

Last edited:
Jon said:
The attitude that urban is all crap is just as ridiculous as saying all Rock music is crap, (when there are like 1 billion different sub genres of it to choose from) I must admit certain comments here are typically ignorant and cliched, but expected.

Agreed. I find it very sad when people limit their own experiences because they have already decided what to like and not what to like, without even exploring it. That's not taste, it's dogma. It's pretty ironic to find such closed minds amongst Morrissey fans, of all people.

I don't give a shit whether Morrissey likes rap or not. I do, and that's all that matters to me.

spectral hand said:
There are plenty of rap artists with a lot to say, much of it anti-drugs and anti-violence. Check out De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B and Rakim, Stetsasonic, Digable Planets, Missy Elliot, Bahamadia, Beastie Boys, Arrested Development, etc. for artists with positive messages.

That's fine, and there are vegan rappers too. But as for my opinion, I'd rather listen to "Doggystyle," one of the greatest albums of all time!!

snoop.jpg

You guys been following the controversy over whether Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields is racist because he doesn't like rap? Reminded me of controversies surrounding Morrissey. You can get up to speed at this link. Clive Davis chimes in here.

Back
Top Bottom