Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Showaddywaddy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Sami

w/pubic lice in Catalonia
hey! who do you think was the best glam rock act during the early to late 1970s?

mine has to be T. Rex - they hold a special place in my heart - first band i ever got into, when all my friends were into Korn, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit - I had T. Rex!!

Thanks for adding The Sweet. I had to vote for Bowie though. I think Alice Cooper should be on the list.

hehe yeah Roxy are special, i prefer their glam stuff to the eno experimental albums - I've never really listened to much alice cooper apart from School's Out and Poison ;)

Uncleskinny said:
Hey up, where's The Rubettes?

Peter

I've never heard of them - are they any good????

About Alice Cooper, I don't know Poison, just that it's a later song. His music went to hell when he ditched the original band and hired professional musicians but he has an early greatest hits album, songs up to about 1974, that stands up to this day. They were one of the biggest bands in the world for a brief time and I think that counts for something too, because they didn't tone it down to be accepted. After that original band was no more he became a sort of washed up comedian who did ballads for and about housewives. Still, the original band was still one of the greatest glam rock acts because they had some great songs and they were very famous. The fame isn't important for itself, but because, like the Sex Pistols they awakened Middle America to this sort of underground music, put a sweet coating on it, and had lots of little kids listening to songs that were pretty rebellious and strange for the time.
I also don't see much difference musically between songs like I'm Eighteen and lots of the early 90's music led by Nirvana. They were very influential in many ways.

david has always some special place in the deep my bottomless heart

"David, the wind blows..."

I'll have to download some early Alice Cooper!

to be honest i'm expecting Bowie to win, i do love Roxy Music, but Bowie has such breadth in terms of the music he has made, so i really only took his Ziggy/Aladdin Sane era into account here

no takers for Showaddywaddy? lol

Ringleader said:
You missed Alice Cooper too..........

yeah i'm really annoyed about that! oh well

This was interesting, because no matter how much great stuff came from the other artists on the list, there is no question for me: it has to be Bowie. The slew of absolutely brilliant albums he produced in the 70s just blows me away. The man is/was a genius.

How long did glam rock last for in the 70s? I think it was 3 years but not sure. It came up after the Beatles split up wasn't it?

Ringleader said:
How long did glam rock last for in the 70s? I think it was 3 years but not sure. It came up after the Beatles split up wasn't it?

hmmm...well, i personally think the first glam rock album was T. Rex's Electric Warrior in 1971, I think between when The Beatles broke up and T. Rex released that seminal album - those three years, were dominated by bland prog-rock and experimental stuff, glam rock lasted up until Marc Bolan's death and the advent of punk in 1977

Back
Top Bottom