New York Dolls

Shifty

Can anybody recommend a good introduction to the New York Dolls? I only know Trash, and the Morrissey Human Being/Subway covers. What's their best album, or should I just get a 'best of'?

I personally have never bought a New York Dolls album (and quite ashamed that I don't even know the names of their albums because I do very much like their music) but my favorite song has to be the classic "stranded in the jungle". It's very different and quirky but completely GENIUS. Other songs I enjoy would be "jet boy", "looking for a kiss", "bad girl", "pills" and "personality crisis"... there are others but I can't think of them at this moment.

Shifty said:
Can anybody recommend a good introduction to the New York Dolls? I only know Trash, and the Morrissey Human Being/Subway covers. What's their best album, or should I just get a 'best of'?

Go with the original self-titled album.
Should be cheap.

I second that; the original self-titled album has all their best-known songs. But almost any CD you find should be good - they only ever put out two albums, so all the comps and reissues are practically identical. Pretty much every CD has Trash, Human Being, Stranded in the Jungle, Subway Train, etc.

xo, math+

Their two studio ablums are both cheap and both great, their are many best ofs, demo albums and live cd's too, but in my opinion the original self titled and In Too Much Too Soon are a great place to start. Moz being a fan granted, but they are a great band in their own right.

Shifty said:

If you are acquainted with the use of bittorrent, get yourself over to http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3332394 This is the NYD album (Lipstick Killers - The Mercer Street Sessions) recorded in 1972. This contains early versions of most of their classics.

If you're a NYD virgin, you'd probably be better to get yourself a copy of their compilation album, 'Rock 'n Roll'. Contains most of the NYD songs you'll ever need.

Good Luck

listen to this man

~El Boydelz~ said:
Their two studio ablums are both cheap and both great, their are many best ofs, demo albums and live cd's too, but in my opinion the original self titled and In Too Much Too Soon are a great place to start. Moz being a fan granted, but they are a great band in their own right.

this is truth - start here with these 2 albums.

Yeah, to be honest I'd recommend Rock 'n' Roll too as it's effectively their only two albums minus a couple of tracks. But anything you find will be near enough gold; they really were a fantastic band

Back
Top Bottom