Bands that supported The Smiths...

this charming man

Rampant member
Reading another thread about bands that supported Morrissey, what bands did you see The Smiths play with?

One of my faves was The Railway Children - Queen is dead tour I think...

Phranc

Just yer typical Jewish lesbian folksinger.

Really?

I am sure Phranc supported Morrissey on the Kill Uncle tour (because I saw her) but did she support the Smiths too?

James of course did the Meat is murder tour!

boy_afraid_Liverpool said:
I am sure Phranc supported Morrissey on the Kill Uncle tour (because I saw her) but did she support the Smiths too?

James of course did the Meat is murder tour!

Yep on TQID tour in the eastern US

1986 Manchester.

Sandie Shaw did a couple of songs before they came on at the G-mex (Festival of the 10th Summer). Not strictly speaking a tour support, but she wasn't on the bill, and I'm sure played at the request of Morrissey. Also just after the Smiths left the stage, Howard Devoto & the Adultory played a set, at short notice, using the Smiths instruments.

If anyone is reading this and was there, do you remember the incident with the tray? A truly historic musical moment!

Wow...

"One of my faves was The Railway Children"

absolutely BRILLIANT pop band. "recurrence" is one of the best albums of the 80s. in fact, my band just recorded a version of "monica's light".

nice mention of the darling buds as well. another fave that i utterly adore. party monsters, too!

Where are they now?

The Telephone Boxes
The Red Guitars
The Frank Chickens
Woodentops
James
The Village

James
Billy Bragg
(A selection of drag queens)
Easterhouse
June Brides

The Stockholm Monsters
Phranc
Raymonde
Soil
The Railway Children
Pete Shelley

poprenaissance said:
in fact, my band just recorded a version of "monica's light".

Love to hear a copy of that Poprenaissance...

I preferred the Factory album, the Virgin stuff was a little too poppy for my liking. I remember a packed gig at the Africa Center in Covent Garden - I was standing right next to Hooky!

Here Ye Go

here's the link to our version of "monica's light":

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7B416D2E086D6CD7

it's from our upcoming covers album.

the factory railway children record is sublime, especially "content". "recurrence" to me was what "reunion wilderness" could've been with better production (damn early factory sound!), but i agree that "native place" was a bit too slick.

easterhouse was damn good too...funny, most of those bands smiths indeed listed are in my collection.

Hope Chest

Thanks - sounds good - what else are you covering? Are you releasing the CD yourselves or do you have some sort of deal?

we've our own label...

...so we're self-releasing, i reckon. it's mostly going to be for sale at gigs. when going through our archives we found we had recorded something like 12 covers over the years, so we're gonna press 'em and sell 'em for cheap. other tracks are:

flesh number one - robyn hitchcock
feelin' - the la's
killjoy - brighter
i need you - america
lost girl in the midnight sun - the lilac time
1963 - new order
lucifer sam - pink floyd

...and a few others i cannae remember at the moment (too much whiskey last night, not enough coffee today).

PR

poprenaissance said:
...and a few others i cannae remember at the moment (too much whiskey last night, not enough coffee today).

Are you Scottish? Bay Area is a long way from home...

Mind you, I'm a Londoner in LA so I can't talk...

Monica's Light

Thanks, I've just listened and enjoyed it. Good
luck with the covers album. :)

Solo641

poprenaissance said:
here's the link to our
version of "monica's light":

it's from our upcoming covers album.

Back
Top Bottom