Support Bands

Stuheff

Sing your Strife
I thought that Sons and Daughters are potentially very good - good support for sure.

But what the hell was Kristina Young all about.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik crossed with Kate Bush.

Jesus I thought that maybe they were a local band being given a chance until she told us they came from St Louis!

or did I just get it wrong and was she actually amazing?

Unless I'm misremembering info from elsewhere I thought the reason Kristina Young was on the tour was because she was Tony Visconti's girlfriend/wife.

I was trying to create a little playlist made up of Morrissey support acts, thus far I have;

Phranc
The Well Oiled Sisters
Elcka
Marion
Kristeen Young
Damien Dempsey
Sons And Daughters
Franz Ferdinand
Ordinary Boys
The Killers
Sack
Elefant
The Shins
Smoking Popes
Tiger Army
Gallon Drunk
James Maker (Raymonde)

I must be missing some...can anyone help?

Oh, anyone who is anorak enough to give the year they supported will get a hug and a kiss...or a thank you!

Colonel Blimp

Colonel Blimp said:
I was trying to create a little playlist made up of Morrissey support acts, thus far I have;

Phranc
The Well Oiled Sisters
Elcka
Marion
Kristeen Young
Damien Dempsey
Sons And Daughters
Franz Ferdinand
Ordinary Boys
The Killers
Sack
Elefant
The Shins
Smoking Popes
Tiger Army
Gallon Drunk
James Maker (Raymonde)

Oh, anyone who is anorak enough to give the year they supported will get a hug and a kiss...or a thank you!

Colonel Blimp

Bradford (Wolverhampton '88)
David Johansen (2004)
The Boyfriends (2006)

Oh indeed! Don't forget The Boyfriends! David's fab! And he's in Dr Who!

Another to add to the list.... Peej! PJ Harvey. Who had the front row yelling at her for supporting fox hunting.

Hmmm... good choice of support act, Moz. Then again, I suppose there's some sort of vague Patti Smith-ness about PJ Harvey, which might explain it?

I remember some of her fans who went to the gigs, and left before Moz came onstage. They were scarier than Moz fans. "What are you getting her for Christmas?" "I was going to get her some chocolates, but apparently she doesn't eat them." No, because then she might actually have some flesh.

Support

The Planet Rockers supported Morrissey on North American leg of Kill Uncle tour .

Colonel Blimp said:

Phranc
The Well Oiled Sisters
Elcka
Marion
Kristeen Young
Damien Dempsey
Sons And Daughters
Franz Ferdinand
Ordinary Boys
The Killers
Sack
Elefant
The Shins
Smoking Popes
Tiger Army
Gallon Drunk
James Maker (Raymonde)

Colonel Blimp
This list reminded me of his fantastic record of supporting Irish artists - in addition to the ones you've already listed:

Remma (2004)
Pony Club (2002)
The Thrills (2002)
The Would Bes (1991)

I thought some time ago that Morrissey could have Nancy Sinatra as a support band but I guess she's too nervous to perform

Dipstick!

Ringleader said:
I thought some time ago that Morrissey could have Nancy Sinatra as a support band but I guess she's too nervous to perform

She has supported him you baffoon... US Tour for YATQ.

BTW - you post too much. Empty vessels.......

this charming man said:
She has supported him you baffoon... US Tour for YATQ.

BTW - you post too much. Empty vessels.......
Thank you for making me spill Pepsi on my keyboard.

Don't forget David McAlmont supported for one night.

The support bands

I was thinking of this topic just recently.

What is the track record of the support groups? Has opening for Morrissey helped them or hindered them?
Or were they not worth anything to begin with?
How many are still around and relevant?

Does he choose openings acts that are no threat to him?

Morrissey checked out The Boyfriends where they were playing in London about couple months ago and I guessed he liked what he seen

King Cheeta, or however you spell it in North America 2002.

Awful stuff.

(and you're right, that guy does post way too much)

Didn't "El Vez" support Moz too?

he has a page-boy bowl cut

Back
Top Bottom