Gilbert O'Sullivan

SRA

the queen is still ill
I heard 'Alone Again (Naturally)' for the first time the other day (im a whippersnapper in comparison with many on here!) and I think it's the most beautiful thing ive heard in ages, the voice, the perfectly crafted lyrics, the delicate guitar in the background.

Has anyone else heard it and liked it? Or not?

Is anything else by him worth listening to?

Have I just made myself seem very odd?! heh heh.

Last edited:
Well, I live in Ireland and have parents who rather liked Gilbert way back when, so I've heard him in the background from an early age. He is one of the most wrongly maligned artists of the last century. Some of the songs, when you strip away the kitch factor of them, are really very delicate and pretty. I truly wish Moz had done Nothing Rhymed as a B-side cause the live version was sublime.

I dont know much about him really, why was/is he maligned?

And what do you mean by kitch?

Interesting :)

SRA said:
I dont know much about him really, why was/is he maligned?

And what do you mean by kitch?

Interesting :)
Well, he's just considered to be really uncool and quite embarrassing (or kitch). Kind of grannyish. Let's just say I wouldn't admit to listening to him every now and then too quickly. He's very much of his time. A forgotten treasure I think.

Alone Again

This song has some of the most heart-rending lyrics I've encountered. His widowed mother, and her passing leaves him distraught. I played at the 1 in 12 some time ago, and the plan was to play guitar and sing this. In the event, I put the guitar down and sang it unaccompanied. Always had a soft spot for Gilbert.

Peter

Dazzak has it right.

Sometimes a bit on the cheesy side, especially with certain songs. But he really does has his charm.
And some songs, like "Alone Again (Naturally)" are genuine tearjerkers.

I loved him, tweeds tank-tops,caps and all!
"Once upon a time, I drank a little wine, was as happy as can be,
now I'm just like a cat on a hot tin roof, baby what do you think you're doing to me?"

Back
Top Bottom