Best Bowie Album?

Best Bowie album?

• Total voters
Let's Dance!!! Modern Love, China Girl and Cat People (Putting Out The Fire) - though i replace that version with the original Cat People Film version - it's longer and much more brooding - AMAZING - Buddha of Suburbia is REMARKABLE

Hunky Dory.

I used to play my mums vinyl to death when I was about 10yrs old! 20 years later.... I still love it! :p

I chose "Low" for coherence, because it works so well qua album, and is the one i've listened to the most. My favourite tracks (Five Years, Heroes, Something in the Air, etc.) are too well scattered throughout his discography to suggest another or second-best release.

my vote goes for Ziggy, bloody brilliant!
Low would come second, and third is A Lad Insane

Station to station is his most ambitious and accomplished effort

My top 10

1. Station to station
2. The rise and fall of ZS and the SFM
3. Hunky dory
4. The man who sold the world & Aladdin sane & Low
7. Young americans
8. Diamond dogs
9. Outside
10.Space oddity

Codreanu said:
I chose "Low" for coherence, because it works so well qua album, and is the one i've listened to the most. My favourite tracks (Five Years, Heroes, Something in the Air, etc.) are too well scattered throughout his discography to suggest another or second-best release.
Yeah, I found that when thinking about it, my favourite Bowie songs aren't necessarily on the one I chose (Station To Station). It just hangs together the best. Station To Station, for me, is the most different and special and ambitious of his albums. There's just nothing like it.

dazzak said:
Yeah, I found that when thinking about it, my favourite Bowie songs aren't necessarily on the one I chose (Station To Station). It just hangs together the best.

Funny, I never really enoyed the B side of Low and thought it was really overrated - for those who were born with CDs, I am talking about a time when LP's had A and B sides, and as far as Low is concerned, by the last "instrumental" tracks

dazzak said:
Station To Station, for me, is the most different and special and ambitious of his albums. There's just nothing like it.

That's why it the one I enjoy the most ... even if the lyrics are sometime, herm, well never mind

Nikita said:
Funny, I never really enoyed the B side of Low and thought it was really overrated - for those who were born with CDs, I am talking about a time when LP's had A and B sides, and as far as Low is concerned, by the last "instrumental" tracks
The second half of Low is definitely the weaker one (but genius nevertheless), but it does have one of my absolute favourite Bowie songs - Warszawa.

So difficult to choose - but The Man Who Sold the World gets my vote. It's completely off its rocker. Width of a Circle is sheer bliss. In fact, every track on this album makes me grin like a demented fool...

Bowie's incredible, to be sure.

I hadn't heard anything that I knew to be Bowie's work until I listened to a friend's bootleg from one of the Bowie/NIN shows. I got me interested enough to check out his big hits. From there, it just snowballed. He's got a such a diverse (and large) body of work; I've enjoyed "discovering" albums that I initially overlooked, like Earthling and Lodger. Now I pretty much enjoy his entire catalogue (even Tin Machine). I love Morrissey, but compared to Bowie... I dunno. If I were stuck on an island with only one musician's catalogue, I'd pick Bowie in a heartbeat.

Did anyone pick up the reissue of the "David Live" and "Stage" live CDs? Both are excellent. "David Live" has some great reworks of his songs. Him and his band go nuts on Moonage Daydream.

++++++ said:
Did anyone pick up the reissue of the "David Live" and "Stage" live CDs? Both are excellent. "David Live" has some great reworks of his songs. Him and his band go nuts on Moonage Daydream.

I have "Stage" on double-vinyl. Are there any bonus tracks or other goodies included w/ the disc reissues?

My understanding is that the reiusses put the tracklisting back in the correct order (the songs were jumbled around on the original vinyl releases). And according to the Illustrated DB Discography, Be My Wife and Stay aren't included on the original. The CD also comes in a nice folding case with pictures and the tour dates.

Since we're on the subject of Bowie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eyAL9jXRxw

Live SNL performance of TVC15, with Klaus Nomi on backup vocals and Bowie sporting an outfit that looks suspiciously like a dress. What great stage presence- especially his pose at the end. Love it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom