LATEST MANCHESTER V CANCER PRESS RELEASE - NO JOYCE!!!!

• Thread starter keep it marr and rourke only
  • Start date
K

keep it marr and rourke only

MANCHESTER’S PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE UNITE FOR MANCHESTER VERSUS CANCER

Shaun Ryder and Bez ‘Step On’ board

Happy Mondays lead singer and freaky dancer Shaun Ryder and Bez are the latest additions to the Manchester versus Cancer line-up.

Celebrity Big Brother winner 2005 Bez will be performing on January 28 with his latest incarnation Domino Bones – the first ever unsigned band to have airplay from MTV2 and VH2. The group, which also includes former members of the Boo Radleys and the Boudines, have already played a number of festivals, including Glastonbury and Get Loaded in Glasgow, and supported Ian Brown. They are also embarking on a US tour from April and performing at most of the major UK festivals this year.

They will be joined on stage by Manchester institution Ryder for what will inevitably be a must-see collaboration.

The Happy Mondays were right at the centre of the Madchester scene in the late 80s and early 90s, producing classics such as Kinky Afro, Hallelujah and 24 Hour Party People. They reformed briefly in 2000 to gig at Glastonbury and again last year at Get Loaded in the Park in London.

Bez said: “It’s great to be back playing on home turf and for such a good cause. I am looking forward to jamming and having a laugh with my old mate.”

More….

-2-

Also added to the line up are Nine Black Alps who are fast making a name as Manchester’s hottest new band. The NME recently said of them, “Back in April we called them nothing short of incredible which was, if anything, playing the whole thing down a little for my taste.” Can’t be bad then!

DJ Mr Scruff will also be bringing along his huge record collection. He’ll be entrancing the audience with 60s and 70s soul-jazz one minute and then blowing their funky socks off with pop, hip hop and electronica the next.

The city’s biggest ever charity gig will also feature New Order, Badly Drawn Boy, Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr and the Healers (The Smiths), Mani (Stone Roses and Primal Scream), Doves, Stephen Fretwell, 808 State, and Utah Saints.

Toni Leden, Appeals Director at the Christie Hospital, said: “We are delighted to have not just one but four great new additions to the line up. All the musicians taking part – and those buying tickets for this historical gig – are helping to contribute to our cancer research projects which will benefit patients worldwide.”

Tickets are on sale now via ticketmaster on 0870 109 8000 or www.ticketmaster.co.uk and cost £40. For more information

Nice one!
People keep stepping up and adding their names to the list!
How cool!
What would you do if Morrissey was announced at the eleventh hour?
I'm going to be there anyway but - wow - just imagine!
If these guys can just make peace - I think it would be such an important moment - the Earth would wobble on its axis!
Forget The Smiths - never! - But imagine what they'd achieve now - with all the years of experience they've had!

Back
Top Bottom