Los Angeles Does It Right

A

AHOY

Moz may resent them, but the police are cleaning LA up.

Los Angeles Major Crime Down 14 Percent
AP
LOS ANGELES (Jan. 6) - The major crime rate in Los Angeles dropped 14 percent last year, making it the second-safest large city in the country, police said.

According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report, Los Angeles moved ahead of San Diego but remained behind New York as the safest among the nation's 10 largest cities.
Los Angeles had a reported 140,601 major crimes last year, according to police statistics. By comparison, the city had more than 300,000 major crimes in 1992, one of its most violent years.
"You'd have to look back to 1956 to find a comparable crime rate for Los Angeles," Police Chief William Bratton said Thursday.
Violent crime dipped 26.8 percent last year compared to 2004, police said. However, that reduction was partly due to a change in how the police department reports domestic violence to the federal government.

The department narrowed its definition of aggravated assault to comply with federal guidelines. That meant excluding the least serious domestic violence - known as simple assaults - from its statistics.
The department said there were 487 reported homicides, down 6 percent from 518 in 2004. That was better than comparable nationwide statistics, which showed a 2.1 percent increase in the homicide rate, police said.
Rapes fell 16.3 percent. There were also declines in robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, burglary from a vehicle, personal and other theft and auto theft.
Bratton said the declines were especially significant because the department has only one officer for every 426 residents, while New York City has about half that ratio, according to the Uniform Crime Report.

In my opinion...

This reflects reported crimes. It is possible that less people report certain types of crimes. Some people don't call the police.
Another thing, the police sometimes discourage you from reporting a crime. This has been my personal experience. When you report a crime it creates work for the police. It also gives the impression that they are not doing their job, although I don't really see what they can do to prevent crime. Once they do apprehend a suspect the matter is out of their hands and ultimately the courts have more to do with how safe the streets are.

Still I have been stopped by police simply for being out late at night and I have found that they do suspect you of being guilty before they have any reason to do so. They are surprised when you are actually able to stand up for yourself without becoming angry or agressive and they often do not know how to handle this situation.

true, very true. the key is not to get angry or defensive, it pisses them off when you are calm and they can't do anything about it! its right that people are discouraged from calling the police because in many cases, you may be the victim yet still get accused.

For instance, the typical assault case is as follows: no matter the circumstance, both people go to jail. Doesn't matter who started it, who got hit first, both people fight therefore it is deemed mutual combat even in the case of self defense, and everyone is guilty.

Sadly, it doesn't look like anything will ever get done about it. Cops dont even care to hear your side. It's work for them to file a report so they'll talk you into not filing one. The judges are just as bad. They know every loophole in the law so they can convict you for the same reason they set you free, it's all a matter of opinion and it depends on what mood they are in on that day. Perhaps things got so bad around here at one point that they just decided "f***-all marshall law - everyone is guilty until proven innocent and we can have our crime rate go down".

See how they got results? By disqualifying the "least" serious offenses. Typical LAPD, cut out what you don't want to hear, and everyone is right.

total bullshit.

See the movie Crash. You will know what i'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom