Pete Doherty - Villian or Victim

F

freeyourse1f

Well I'm sure those of us in the know are none too surprised by the news that poor Pete may have contracted HIV by sharing needles. His former dealer tested positive and has issued a plea through the media for Pete to get tested since they had shared needles in the past.

Well poor Pete, HIV is a terrible thing and certain someone with such a huge talent shouldn't die such a poor death. But perhaps Pete already knows of his impending doom which is why he's been carrying on like a nihilist.

But the one major question is should we blame Pete for Kate's infection? After all, all she ever did was cocaine and love Pete, but certainly she was no heroin junkie. She may have looked the part with her "heroin(e) chic" but still.

Now is it Pete's fault for Kate being HIV? It's not like he did it on purpose. And certainly I'm sure he didn't wish it upon himself. So who's to blame? Can it be argued that Pete is to blame because he willingly abused heroin? If that's the case, then Pete would be the villian here. But is he?

Since where do we draw the line where substance abusers are to take the blame fro their habit. Most junkies just can't stop. Just as you and I can never stop listening to music, even if society told us to, Pete and junkies like him can't get off the junk. It's just in their blood.

So Kate, was she the victim here? Or does she share some of the blame for having unprotected sex with a known heroin junkie that shared needles? Where does this blame game stop?!

http://www.spin.com/features/news/2005/12/051219_pete/

Legal woes are the least of Doherty's worries these days according to the NY Post's Page Six. The tabloid says that Pete's drug dealer, Owen O'Dwyer, has HIV and wants Doherty to get tested posthaste. "I'm terrified Pete might have HIV," O'Dwyer says. "We didn't share needles but we kept our needles in the same glass. I'm worried blood on the needles may have mixed."

It's Kate's fault completely, she knew what she was getting in to, & i'm sure she tried chasing the dragon a few times. I didn't actually think Pete injected, so i think this story could be a load of bollocks to be honest, i really hope it is anyway.

Kate Moss is old enough to make her own decisions, having unprotected sex (if they did) is dangerous enough with 'normal' people, but with someone in the music industry who's also a drug addict, she'd have to be stupid to have done that. If she's old enough to pop out a sprog & take cocaine, then she's old enough to face up to the consequences of what may have happened. Pete shouldn't be to blame at all, i feel incredibly sorry for him. Everyone's going on like Kate's this innocent little super-model who got in with the wrong crowd, she was a drug addict LONG before she met Pete, it's not like he held her down & pushed coke up her petite nostrils, how do people think she stayed so thin all of these years?

ok, before we start planning how to break the news to Kate (and I hope she doesn't hear it here first) we don't even know if Doherty has been exposed, let alone contracted the disease.

all we have to go on are the concerns of his "ex dealer", a person that, by definition, is a questionable source. for one thing, drug addicts lie, dealers lie especially, and this is a person that is no longer associated with him obviously. If he was he would have been able to contact Doherty instead of releasing this alleged information and pretending that he is doing it as some sort of service to Pete.

Understand that whether or not Pete has ever been exposed to the virus this rumor will be with him for the rest of his life no matter what the truth might be. Dragging other people into it along with Pete is just completely ignorant and irresponsible.

I have to say it sounds just like so much (British) journalism where a person is condemned but in a hypocritical way to appear caring.

> It's Kate's fault completely, she knew what she was getting in to, &
> i'm sure she tried chasing the dragon a few times. I didn't actually think
> Pete injected, so i think this story could be a load of bollocks to be
> honest, i really hope it is anyway.

> Kate Moss is old enough to make her own decisions, having unprotected sex
> (if they did) is dangerous enough with 'normal' people, but with someone
> in the music industry who's also a drug addict, she'd have to be stupid to
> have done that. If she's old enough to pop out a sprog & take cocaine,
> then she's old enough to face up to the consequences of what may have
> happened. Pete shouldn't be to blame at all, i feel incredibly sorry for
> him. Everyone's going on like Kate's this innocent little super-model who
> got in with the wrong crowd, she was a drug addict LONG before she met
> Pete, it's not like he held her down & pushed coke up her petite
> nostrils, how do people think she stayed so thin all of these years?

I totally agree. The media has made it like Pete is this horrible devil figure that has lured poor innocent Kate into the depths of druggie hell. Everyone knows Kate has been doing coke long before Pete was even famous. Not that I blame her, I think the fashion industry is hypocritical for turning their collective backs on her, but the way she's been scapegoating Pete lately, I think it's awful.

Pete is a true artist with his fair share of problems, I admit, but let's not make him out to be this despicable sinner. If Kate did contract HIV from Pete, it's entirely her fault, she's a mother and should know better about unprotected sex (though obviously not as her child was not planned nor wanted).

She also took the risk by seeing Pete in the first place. Yes he's a sweetie and awfully talented, but he has never denied being a junkie and the first rule with dating junkies is never to have unprotected sex with them. As a homosexual myself, it's bad enough to be dating men that are as promiscious as dogs in heat, but I couldn't imagine combining that risk with heroin usage.

Pete is both as he was known to turn gay tricks for drug money before the Libertines got big, he's admitted as much and not shamed at all. So Kate knew the risks and if she's gotten HIV now or even subjected her child to it then she's a worse mummy than Courtney Love (who may or may not have injected heroin while preggers).

I love Pete, I hope he gets well, but if he is HIV, may he turn his last days into something brill like an epic record or two, the world deserves to bask in his genius before he goes. God rarely gets it so right and with Pete, he's gotten it so right for the first time since John Lennon.

Re: Pete Doherty will soon self-destruct ...

if he continues his present lifestyle. HIV/AIDS won't he his demise because he will crash and burn soon.

Back
Top Bottom