Joanna Newsom (No Moz)

U

Uncleskinny

There was a free CD with the NME today, their so called "Cool List" CD, and to be honest most of it is turgid guitar rock - not that guitar rock is a bad thing, Blco Party and Neils Children are particularly good - anyway, I got towards the end of the CD while driving to a factory today and then I heard track 14 - Joanna Newsom - The Sprout And The Bean, and I was utterly blown away. I don't think I've been stopped in my tracks by a song like this for a long time. Think early Sugarcubes mixed with Kings Of Convenience with a harp. Stunning (in my opinion anyway). I found the website and you can see a video of the song on there. No Moz, but no apologies.

Sk.

Joanna Newsom

Re: a HARP ????!!!!!

Blimey. I should be more open-minded I suppose.

> There was a free CD with the NME today, their so called "Cool
> List" CD, and to be honest most of it is turgid guitar rock - not
> that guitar rock is a bad thing, Blco Party and Neils Children are
> particularly good - anyway, I got towards the end of the CD while driving
> to a factory today and then I heard track 14 - Joanna Newsom - The Sprout
> And The Bean, and I was utterly blown away. I don't think I've been
> stopped in my tracks by a song like this for a long time. Think early
> Sugarcubes mixed with Kings Of Convenience with a harp. Stunning (in my
> opinion anyway). I found the website and you can see a video of the song
> on there. No Moz, but no apologies.

> Sk.

There was a free CD with the NME today, their so called "Cool List" CD, and to be honest most of it is turgid guitar rock - not that guitar rock is a bad thing, Blco Party and Neils Children are particularly good - anyway, I got towards the end of the CD while driving to a factory today and then I heard track 14 - Joanna Newsom - The Sprout And The Bean, and I was utterly blown away. I don't think I've been stopped in my tracks by a song like this for a long time. Think early Sugarcubes mixed with Kings Of Convenience with a harp. Stunning (in my opinion anyway). I found the website and you can see a video of the song on there. No Moz, but no apologies.

Sk.

Joanna Newsom

Have you heard anything else by her? Nobody like her out there.
I love every song on Ys. Especially 'Only Skin', this is the only video of
it, but at least you can hear the song. I think Cosmia or Cassiopia is
after it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe that Joanna Newsom is Bill Callahans wife or girlfiend. I've seen Bill Callahan (AKA Smog) do a show where he played guitar & sang while she played the keyboards.

Living in the past baby, there's no future to it.

Back on subject - yes I have The Milk-Eyed Mender and Ys. There used to be a clip of her playing Sadie at a Unitarian Church somewhere, and it was the most wonderful thing. Then it got removed.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom