For Auntie T.

H

Hallahook

Oh Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!!

pic140302.jpg

Re: Fender... strat

But for playability, versatility, and all round reliability and performance.. can you beat this classic?? Never, it's gotta be the workhorse of rock n'roll, the choice of champions..

pic140316.jpg

> But for playability, versatility, and all round reliability and
> performance.. can you beat this classic?? Never, it's gotta be the
> workhorse of rock n'roll, the choice of champions..

Well my friend, I do so love the Strat. There is a range due to the extreme pick-up placement that is second to none. There is also the tremelo system and that's where I can't handle the Strat. You see, I rest my wrist right on the saddle when I play, and that gives me tremelo when I don't need it (Floyd Rose Systems, while ingenius, are worst for me). I have a Gretsch with a Bigsby system, and that's all I can work with. I've always been a Telecaster man. I love the crisp twang and pop as well as the scream when distorted.

Thanks for sharing the picture though. Any lack of enthusiasm on my behalf, is unintentional, and based solely on my own inability to adapt to the instrument.
Chers.

> Thanks for sharing the picture though. Any lack of enthusiasm on my
> behalf, is unintentional, and based solely on my own inability to adapt to
> the instrument.
> Chers.

No, thanks for the comments.. it's nice to exchange some musical dialogue. I play a Fender Squire as it goes.. Old model. Lovely action though. Bought it second hand about 20 years ago. My first guitar was a Les paul copy.. but found it heavy and a little chunky. I like the smooth flat feel of the Fenders. I don't often use my tremelo.. if at all.. maybe I should use it. Electric wise, I also have an epiphone Casion.. now that's a nice guitar.. inspired by the gallagher boys in 1990 I fear though! But it plays well, and of course I use it to work out songs, coz acoustically, you can still hear yourself without plugging it in.

I'm looking for an electro acoustic at the moment.. any advice? I like the Takamine... but not sure.. cost v versatility you see. I'd only use for the bands rendition of Mr.Jones (counting crows) so don't wanna go too mad!

Ruffian

> I'm looking for an electro acoustic at the moment.. any advice? I like the
> Takamine... but not sure.. cost v versatility you see. I'd only use for
> the bands rendition of Mr.Jones (counting crows) so don't wanna go too
> mad!

> Ruffian

If you are adept and trust yourself, you can get a piezo/ saddle pick-up kit and have it mounted into whichever acoustic guitar you choose, or have it done for you at a music shop. Piezo pick-ups fit under the saddle-nut and are virtually invisible, and not too costly.

Speaking first hand....

I've one of each (not quite as shown): a 1969 Ricky (360/12 red sunbirst) and a 1983 Fender Strat (white/maple).

Its a matter of using the right tool for the job. Strat's a bit muddy on rhythm - not always a bad thing - but the Rickenbacker is so bright, especially with all 12 on that there really is no comparison. Then again, pulling riffs on that narrow arched maple neck is so effortless and full of balls.

My Rick is sort of like the good silver. I only haul it out on special occasions. Keeps it dear.

> But for playability, versatility, and all round reliability and
> performance.. can you beat this classic?? Never, it's gotta be the
> workhorse of rock n'roll, the choice of champions..

Hally... you're a gem!

> Oh Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!!

Always wanted one... never got it...

Re: Fender... pick-ups

> If you are adept and trust yourself, you can get a piezo/ saddle pick-up
> kit and have it mounted into whichever acoustic guitar you choose, or have
> it done for you at a music shop. Piezo pick-ups fit under the saddle-nut
> and are virtually invisible, and not too costly.

Great advice.. But Hallahook.. it's a cut away issue.. to reach the high notes.. most electro acoustics have one, my (fender) acoustic, doesn't!
Now, I await your suggestion to obtain an angled hacksaw to cut away yourself, mount the pickuops,, and then you're away!

Talking of sawing up guitars.. Did you ever hear wild willy barrett's.. 'I did it Otway'.. where he cuts John otways guitar up as they had an acrimonious split at that time.. quite amusing for one or two listens

Ruffian

> Great advice.. But Hallahook.. it's a cut away issue.. to reach the high
> notes.. most electro acoustics have one, my (fender) acoustic, doesn't!
> Now, I await your suggestion to obtain an angled hacksaw to cut away
> yourself, mount the pickuops,, and then you're away!

> Talking of sawing up guitars.. Did you ever hear wild willy barrett's.. 'I
> did it Otway'.. where he cuts John otways guitar up as they had an
> acrimonious split at that time.. quite amusing for one or two listens

> Ruffian

Hi!

I wanted to suggest the option of an old 80's Kramer Ferrington... They are shaped like Strats or Teles and have the feel of an electric - but the sound of an acoustic. I have one and just won the bidding for another one on eBay. It was only about $200.00 (U.S. dollars) including shipping...

Cheers!

> Hi!

> I wanted to suggest the option of an old 80's Kramer Ferrington... They
> are shaped like Strats or Teles and have the feel of an electric - but the
> sound of an acoustic. I have one and just won the bidding for another one
> on eBay. It was only about $200.00 (U.S. dollars) including shipping...

> Cheers!

Ah!! great advice Auntie T. And a lot less labor intensive than a hack saw!

Back
Top Bottom