vBulletin auction integration for Marketplace

surewhynot

Has database integration with this functionality ever come up? There seem to be 3rd party integrators out there who have mentioned this feature being possible. The Smiths/Moz collectibles market is insanity. eBay is up to 10% final value fees and that's only the start of it. Might be a good way to increase interest in our Marketplace forum, and I don't think anyone would be opposed to even a small (1 to 3%?) fee, which would save us all money and earn some income for the forums in the meantime.

Understandably some legalities surround such a thing, but if it's a courier so to speak, that might be somewhat mitigated. The most difficulty I see in this idea is collection of auction fees if applicable.

Thoughts?

Richard

Last edited:
I have considered adding a real marketplace with the 3rd party integration you mentioned. In vBulletin it's one called Panjo (Example site). My concern was that few people would use it as it doesn't have the scale of eBay but if you and some others think it's a good idea I can look into it.

Last edited:
I think that would be very helpful, and I'm sure others from the Collector's Corner and Marketplace subforums would agree. The 'Or Best Offer' would at least get seller motivation. I wonder why there isn't auction-style functionality? Could it be a burden on realtime processing / bandwidth? I've always envisioned eBay's servers and bandwidth being pure insanity.

The value IMO is that most of the bigtime collectors here are presumably the heavy hitters on eBay, so a 10% off coupon every time wouldn't be a bad thing. I wouldn't expect it to have tens of thousands of users, though, as you say.

Last edited:
Great post OP! I was thinking of asking the same thing. I, for one, am an avid collector, and so are my housemates, and we would all prefer Solo over ebay for Smiths & Moz related memorabilia

It's a great idea for all types of fans, from the addicts to the newbies; at least we would call out the fakes, unlike on eBay. Really hope you can implement this, DavidT!

If this does move forward I'd be eager to help out in any way needed. I am a developer, not a lot of web experience, but some degrees of PHP/scripting and testing would be doable.

Great, I'll begin looking. I don't think it will be a huge effort as it's a third party integration the load is on their end so it's most likely just a bit of effort in setting up and organizing. Thanks for offering help and testing, I'll let you know when it gets to that point. Any other features or requirements feel free to post here.

If this does move forward I'd be eager to help out in any way needed. I am a developer, not a lot of web experience, but some degrees of PHP/scripting and testing would be doable.

I have always hoped for something like this. Also, maybe a 'pinned' thread called 'Wanted' where people looking for a specific item could list it and those of us with collections we are willing to part with, could have a look.

Good luck :guitar:

I think that would be very helpful, and I'm sure others from the Collector's Corner and Marketplace subforums would agree. The 'Or Best Offer' would at least get seller motivation. I wonder why there isn't auction-style functionality? Could it be a burden on realtime processing / bandwidth? I've always envisioned eBay's servers and bandwidth being pure insanity.

The value IMO is that most of the bigtime collectors here are presumably the heavy hitters on eBay, so a 10% off coupon every time wouldn't be a bad thing. I wouldn't expect it to have tens of thousands of users, though, as you say.

Obviously the ebay commission fees are only payable by sellers, so this has no impact on collectors who buy using ebay. Presumably, you're trying to help the flippers (people who buy items they then wish to re-sell at a profit) and those wishing to enhance their collections by trading against other items. What's wrong with a bloody battle to the end during an ebay auction listing, anyway?!!? Hosting, functionality, feedback, reputation and consumer support are just a few priceless requisites to an ebay user, so I'd say it's a very reliable and trustworthy marketplace, overall.

Obviously the ebay commission fees are only payable by sellers, so this has no impact on collectors who buy using ebay. Presumably, you're trying to help the flippers (people who buy items they then wish to re-sell at a profit) and those wishing to enhance their collections by trading against other items. What's wrong with a bloody battle to the end during an ebay auction listing, anyway?!!? Hosting, functionality, feedback, reputation and consumer support are just a few priceless requisites to an ebay user, so I'd say it's a very reliable and trustworthy marketplace, overall.

I never had "flippers" in mind when I suggested this addition. IMO, if you're reselling memorabilia and that 10% margin is what gives you motivation as a seller, you should probably find another job. The whole point of this is to give people another option. It's not shoved down anyone's throat.

Speaking from my own personal experience, and to reference the "hosting, functionality, feedback, reputation and consumer support" you mention: I am getting more and more reluctant as a seller as final value fees (FVF) are reaching their current numbers. It was less in the past, and with eBay being the sizable marketplace it is, this wasn't really a concern as the exposure would offset the expense. Fast forward to 10/13/2014: I don't usually call for customer support, but on the days I have, I waste my time talking to someone who is literally reading from a support dialog response guide, a guide that seems to even include a protocol for interjections of customer empathy with apologies, shared frustration and appreciation for long-term business. If you are gullible enough to believe the script, chances are you're still frustrated anyway because you can't understand what's being said. Not dogging globalist companies who outsource, just pointing out the facts. In short I just don't always feel like eBay has earned that 10%.

Feedback and reputation are offset by Paypal Buyer Protection, which covers you for 45 days from the date of purchase. I encourage you to read https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/buyer-protection. Their recent brand split kind of illustrates this because Paypal's customer transactions are simply outgrowing what eBay supplies it. It is becoming its own entity without the association.

As far as "battling it out," that is going to depend on what is available as a module for this site. Even if it's just based on best offer, we don't know yet know the operational details. If best offers are posted as they are made, it's effectively an auction anyway. You may not see the last second sniping common in eBay auctions, but this having a slightly different format might encourage buyers to bid their best off the bat, benefiting sellers either way. A lot of collectors on this forum are not afraid to break the ice with reasonable offers. Another benefit to using a forum marketplace would potentially be an active discussion thread under the item for sale. I think it could encourage confidence in buying when you have hardcore collectors giving positive reinforcement regarding the item, or vice versa, which admittedly may cause some uproar, but it would undoubtedly lead to debate and resolution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom