General site operation thread

oliver

I don't think it's technically illegal, but what people are concerned with is the intent. An anonymous person gave an example of Noel Fielding. The targeted girl's twitter account or whatever was public also, I'm sure.

Nice to see you so concerned about the ramifications of posting offensive and abusive material on the internet. It's a shame you allow this site to be a free-for-all it has become under the guise of "free speech." It seems to be a bit of a one-way street.

Nice to see you so concerned about the ramifications of posting offensive and abusive material on the internet. It's a shame you allow this site to be a free-for-all it has become under the guise of "free speech." It seems to be a bit of a one-way street.

Specifically on this point - you are slagging off this site for reporting something that TTY posted, just like hundreds of times before, but you don't see fit to slag off TTY for originally posting the info. It takes a special kind of blinkeredness to spoon logic into that.

Re: Article: Identification of Bradley Steyn - true-to-you.net

I think some people forget that Morrissey is a free-spirited artist and hold his word and line of logic to the standards and decorum of a Yale-educated, elected-by-the-people, government official. He's just a singer.

That's true. Very good....and he does know the song....even though it has no tune, and it has no meaning.

I'm saying the feigned concern for the harassment of Steyn (not necessarily by you) is laughable when this site does nothing to moderate comments that have wished death or cancer on Morrissey and his family (and those are literal examples, not hyperbole)

But...but...this is only some people we have no control over...this is not a negative site..no...no. Our Moderators are fans and we appreciate Morrissey for what he is and what he does.

We only hope he never retires or dies....what will we do then?

What does it mean...what does it mean...what does it mean?

Regardless of whether or not he approves, my question is - does he think Morrissey has the right to say it?

Personally, if it's not actionable, it's fair comment. Now let me ask you - do you think it was OK for Morrisey to wish death on Rogan, seeing as you don't like that kind of thing.

No, but you neatly ignore it because it suits your argument. When every single TTY update is posted on here, what on earth did you expect was going to happen? If you don't like the idea of this site reporting it, you should ask yourself why did TTY put the info up in the first place. The answer is - don't put stuff on TTY that's going to cause grief.

There's nothing to ignore. I have no problem with this site posting every TTY update - I'm glad you do so. I'm saying that people complaining about potential abuse on another site is a joke when this site does nothing to stop actual abuse. In fact, you could argue that it encourages it.

Personally, if it's not actionable, it's fair comment. Now let me ask you - do you think it was OK for Morrisey to wish death on Rogan, seeing as you don't like that kind of thing.

No, I thought it was unnecessary and over the top. However, I would add that the subject of the comment should have the final say. If Rogan is OK with it then I don't see a massive problem because I may be missing context based on their prior relationship (if they ever had one)

No, I thought it was unnecessary and over the top. However, I would add that the subject of the comment should have the final say. If Rogan is OK with it then I don't see a massive problem because I may be missing context based on their prior relationship (if they ever had one)

Considering Rogan wound up adding the quote to the cover on subsequent printings, I think it's safe to say he was at least somewhat pleased with Morrissey's (hyperbolic) reaction.

OK - now, as David asked above - do you think Morrissey has the right to say it?

Considering Rogan wound up adding the quote to the cover on subsequent printings, I think it's safe to say he was at least somewhat pleased with Morrissey's (hyperbolic) reaction.

Yes, Rogan told me he found it funny. It is a funny line. I often think Morrissey's relentless use of hyperbole causes confusion for some people. The main thing with hyperbole, of course, is it's not supposed to be taken literally...

OK - now, as David asked above - do you think Morrissey has the right to say it?

I'm not really sure how to answer that. Of course he has the right assuming he's not violating any laws. *Should* he say that is a different matter. Personally, I don't think so but it's his choice and he should be big enough to accept the ramifications.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to post what you want. That's ridiculous - it's your site. I'm saying that all these internet knights concerned about the potential abuse of Steyn because Morrissey posted some pseudonyms is hypocritical considering the culture of this site.

Peter Finan feels very powerful and important on this website, as he plays the role of Lieutenant General Uncle Skinny in the SoLow army. Lieutenant Skinny's role is to back-up General David T Seng in their war against the sworn enemy, Morrissey. But if Morrissey were to enter Peter Finan's REAL life, let's say for example by turning up in [personal details / city removed by request] at Chez Finan for a cup of tea, then Peter Finan would be a completely different person. He would throw off the jacket belonging to Lieutenant General Uncle Skinny, and he would become Peter Finan, Morrissey fan, just as he was before General T Seng declared war on Morrissey in the 2011. All the hatred would disappear in an instant, and Finan would smother Morrissey with genuine love and affection. And if Morrissey asked Finan to his face to ditch SoLow, and come and set up a website for him, Finan would drop Tseng like a rock. This is the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

And if Morrissey asked Finan to his face to ditch SoLow, and come and set up a website for him, Finan would drop Tseng like a rock. This is the truth.

No I wouldn't. Make it happen and see if it happens. You may have different standards, but I believe in sticking to what I say.

Morrissey is an outspoken public figure by his own choice. He put his head above the parapet. Do you think Nick Cave gets this amount of criticism on his site? No, because he makes music before all else, and doesn't pretend he's a political scientist. Morrissey seems to swapped one for the other with catastrophic results for his career.

Feel free to find posts on Nick Cave's site wishing cancer upon him that aren't moderated in any way.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. No one here is complaining about his right to post it, they are criticizing and discussing his choice of doing so. People may personally insult each other here but posting personal details of someone is certainly not encouraged.

I've never condoned the publishing of Steyn's pseudonyms, the FB link or the posting of anything abusive. Just pointing out that abuse happens on this site and it's called 'free speech.' To complain about one and not the other is a double-standard.

Hey david ...what's that song that Morrissey can't stand...but it's stuck in his head> You know the one he references in Oboe Concerto....You've been a fan since 86 and you know it...what is it?

I'd guess Roy's Keen

Feel free to find posts on Nick Cave's site wishing cancer upon him that aren't moderated in any way.

Yep, no way someone will make a churlish joke about (his) hair-transplant and hair-dye on site dedicated to Nick Cave. No Tseng-effect on Cave site, U2 site, Coldplay site... Seems, only M-Solo is wittingly boorish to premise (Morrissey per se) subject.

I've never heard of Nick Cave, Bono or Chris Martin saying anything too controversial or attempt to hire a hitman (allegedly) either! I imagine those are probably boring sites anyway, but feel free to post specific links to those forums as examples so I can take a look.

Yep, no way someone will make a churlish joke about (his) hair-transplant and hair-dye on site dedicated to Nick Cave. No Tseng-effect on Cave site, U2 site, Coldplay site... Seems, only M-Solo is wittingly boorish to premise (Morrissey per se) subject.

Last edited:

That lot scares me. They truly think he's on twitter talking to them. Luckily there's only 5 of them or so.

I had a 3 martini lunch today. I'm drunk. Add me to the list.

6 strong and growing!

No I wouldn't. Make it happen and see if it happens. You may have different standards, but I believe in sticking to what I say.

This post is the proof anyone needs that this site exists to stroke the egos of the owner, moderators, and a select few posters. In no way does the site support the person whose name it uses to capture traffic. There is no other reason that a person would spend this much time on a website devoted to someone he does not support.

Back
Top Bottom