Should Morrissey attempt to tour again this year?

A

Anonymous

What do you think - yes or no? I'd love to see him, and he's got a record coming out to support - be he clearly isn't anywhere near 100% fit, and each time he cancels he seems to be doing his 'career' more harm than good.
Do you think he should take the rest of the year off - or maybe try a very short tour/small number of dates somewhere?

Yes. I think he should sort out whatever drama caused this tour to disintegrate in Miami ASAP and get back out there. I personally do not buy the sickness angle, at least not the cold/virus/respiratory infection type. I just don't. Sorry. Something else is afoot here. Not sure exactly what, but I'll put my best men on it.

In my opinion, he needs to do a UK/Ireland tour as soon as humanly possible, a few European major markets, and return to fulfill at least some of his US commitments later in the year.

Others may disagree. But if he wants to avoid "World Peace is None of Your Business" from sinking like a stone, he needs to keep his name in the papers. And touring does exactly that, market-by-market. Why the US tour was scheduled two+ months ahead of the album still baffles me.

I don't think you are gonna find a promoter to take on the risk after what just happened. Some one off shows may be the best solution once he gets better.

I don't think you are gonna find a promoter to take on the risk after what just happened. Some one off shows may be the best solution once he gets better.

Promoters and touring insurance places are going to be scared yes. For sure. With good reason. I foresee some UK dates but I'd be shocked if America got another round.

Promoters and touring insurance places are going to be scared yes. For sure. With good reason. I foresee some UK dates but I'd be shocked if America got another round.

To keep the insurance affordable, he is probably going to have to be less risky. Shorter tours with smaller venues and inexpensive support acts. Maybe a US tour taking a few of the cities he didn't get to first time round might be possible.

I was going to say ''no." But now I think playing the 5 largest music markets in the U.K., 5 shows, 10 days before release of the new album would be very good to promote "World Peace..."

To keep the insurance affordable, he is probably going to have to be less risky. Shorter tours with smaller venues and inexpensive support acts.

Yeah, it would also help if he didn't let any idiot present grab and drool all over him. I can't help but wonder if that's why he gets sick so often...he's exposed to more germs than a preschool teacher. :barf:

But, no, he should definitely not play any more shows in the U.S., for a while anyway. His reputation is in shambles right now and he needs to work on repairing it in the UK, not here.

he needs to start playing in front of chicken wire like the good old boys did :lbf:
4851086_std.jpg

Yeah, it would also help if he didn't let any idiot present grab and drool all over him. I can't help but wonder if that's why he gets sick so often...he's exposed to more germs than a preschool teacher. :barf:

But, no, he should definitely not play any more shows in the U.S., for a while anyway. His reputation is in shambles right now and he needs to work on repairing it in the UK, not here.

His reputation is hardly in shambles. No one really gives a flying f*** what gossip goes on on this site re his touring.

His reputation is hardly in shambles. No one really gives a flying f*** what gossip goes on on this site re his touring.

I have to agree. This site is very insular and can give a false majority perspective.

I don't know how tour insurance works vs. one off gigs but I think a couple of festivals (assuming he's recovered) would help juice up the momentum.

Well, by all accounts his performances on this tour (with the exception of Lincoln, Nebraska) were all superb--even the one he allegedly collapsed after. And the three times I saw him on his last ill-fated tour he did a great job. I would love to see him again live--in spite of five cancellations in a row--and I suspect many people in San Jose, Los Angeles, and Boston feel the same way.

So if his health permits it than I say yes. He might want to focus on a few one-off shows to promote the new album since I don't think anyone is going to back another major tour.

Not only do I think he should...I'm almost certain that he will. I agree with Chip. People still want to see him, even though they have been cancelled on four times, five times, whatever times. I would go and he's cancelled four of the shows I wanted to attend. It'll all work out somehow. I feel optimistic about that. I didn't at first, but with time and putting things in perspective, I think it will all turn out fine.

Last edited:

I think his reputation is ulimately unimportant in terms of 'disgrunted' fans. No matter how many times Moz cancels on them, and they swear like blue f*** that they are done with him...as soon as tickets are announced for another show they buy them anyway.

What may be more damaging for Morrissey is his reputation MUST be in a total shambles at this point as regards any promotors/booking agents.

Somebody, somewhere is taking a massive financial loss every time Morrissey books a tour and pulls out part way through - and I suspect it's not canny old Moz. But eventually it's going to get to the point where his reputation is so piss poor no one will be willing to take the risk of booking him and losing $$$$ in the process. We may already be at that point now.

I think he should attempt, definitely. The more I listen to the new album the more I get this feeling that we’re about to embark on a wonderful upswing in creativity.

I hope he does! But I think, for his sake, he needs to change his style. I don't know why he needs to "tour" as such. One-off dates here and there would do, even at larger venues? Space them out, give him time to rest in between. I obviously don't know the circumstances of his health, but I can't imagine the busy touring schedule is really helping matters. It seems to be happening all the time now. When you look at some of the older acts, like Van Morrison for example, he'll do gigs that are spaced out.

Personally, I'd also like to see him trying a different sort of gig. Gigs with seated audiences, and a slower tempo maybe. I've always loved the thought of him doing a sort of "Unplugged" set. Perhaps he'd hate that idea though!

Whether or not he should tour this year depends of course on the state of his well-being (and other factors I can only speculate about—finances, personnel availability, etc.), but do I want him to? YES. Especially now that I know how solid the new material is. I want to hear those songs live! We didn't get a tour for Vauxhall, and I still feel disappointed about that. The 1993–96 live dry spell in the US was painful, especially on the heels of such an incredible album. I don't want that to happen again!

I agree with those who have suggested he not commit to traditional touring schedules, though. The Cure no longer do world tours like they used to, but they've managed to maintain their standing as a consistently amazing live act by headlining lots of festivals, doing mini-tours in specific regions (almost always with 2-3 days off in between shows), and playing special trilogy concerts in larger cities. It's worked out really well for them, though granted they have a sound and presence that's more suited to enormous arenas and festival grounds than Morrissey's. I'd still always rather see Moz in smaller venues, but I'll take whatever I can get. I definitely wouldn't object to another 5-night NYC residency! ;)

I heard he's going to announce retirement from performin soon. I think that is best.

I vote no, he's clearly not well enough at the moment. Take a year out and see how it goes. Come back with some one off shows rather than a large tour.

Back
Top Bottom