To introduce myself as a new member of this forum

Girl-Afraid

Least Likely To
Hi everyone I'm new here and eager to get involved in Morrissey discussion. I'm 23, from the UK and discovered Morrissey around 7 years ago.

I heard my first Smiths' song when I was 16 or 17, it was: "I Don't Owe You Anything" on an xfm radio show. Up until then I had musical interests in mainstream pop, rock and indie and wasn't at all interested in real alternative sounds.
The graceful yet still determinedly working-class northern voice set something alight within me. The lyrics were unlike anything I had ever heard before or since for that matter and I was instantly drawn in like thousands before me.
I immediately went home and began streaming songs by "The Smiths" online, of course as this was a few years ago there weren't many outlets available and as none of my friends had even heard of them I had to rely on the internet as my only source of information.

Who was this person "Morrissey" and why did he only want to be known by his surname? This struck me as very working-class school and ever so slightly odd. But of course as I listened to more of these songs, I realised just why so many people before me had become enthralled by him. His poetry spoke to me in a way nothing had ever done before; he was singing about my life, the choices I had made, the regrets I had and the late stage teenage angst I was going through.
Songs like: "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" left me re evaluating my life and my favourite by far: "Back To The Old House" haunted me every time I heard the melancholy line: "When you cycled by it began all my dreams".
His lyrics actually formed an image in my mind of what he was really thinking and feeling when he complied them. So unlike the mainstream popular music of back then and today; which focuses on sex, money, sex, money, beauty, popularity and fame. Of course Morrissey's lyrics did brush over these but they were always clever, witty, tongue in cheek or something that actually struck a chord with your own life.

I wrote my University Dissertation on Morrissey and his effect on popular culture - so you can imagine every single word of those 10,000 was never a chore to write.
I have seen him live twice and hope to go again if he tours in the UK at sometime.

His art continues to mean so much to me and has helped me through so many difficult periods in my life. As Morrissey himself would say: "Gasping, dying but somehow still alive"

Last edited:
Re: To introduce myself as a new member of this forum...

Hi everyone I'm new here and eager to get involved in Morrissey discussion. I'm 23, from the UK and discovered Morrissey around 7 years ago.
I am an avid fan of the smiths and Morrissey solo and have been for many years.
I heard my first Smith's song when I was 16 or 17, it was: "I Don't Owe You Anything" on an xfm radio show. Up until then I had musical interests in mainstream pop, rock and indie and wasn't at all interested in real alternative sounds.
The graceful yet still determinedly working-class northern voice set something alight within me. The lyrics were unlike anything I had ever heard before or since for that matter and I was instantly drawn in like thousands before me.
I immediately went home and began streaming songs by "The Smiths" online, of course as this was a few years ago there weren't many outlets available and as none of my friends had even heard of them I had to rely on the internet as my only source of information.

Who was this person "Morrissey" and why did he only want to be known by his surname? This struck me as very working-class school and ever so slightly odd. But of course as I listened to more of these songs, I realised just why so many people before me had become enthralled by him. His poetry spoke to me in a way nothing had ever done before; he was singing about my life, the choices I had made, the regrets I had and the late stage teenage angst I was going through.
Songs like: "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" left me re evaluating my life and my favourite by far: "Back To The Old House" haunted me every time I heard the melancholy line: "When you cycled by it began all my dreams".
His lyrics actually formed an image in my mind of what he was really thinking and feeling when he complied them. So unlike the mainstream popular music of back then and today; which focuses on sex, money, sex, money, beauty, popularity and fame. Of course Morrissey's lyrics did brush over these but they were always clever, witty, tongue in cheek or something that actually struck a chord with your own life.

I wrote my University Dissertation on Morrissey and his effect on popular culture - so you can imagine every single word of those 10,000 was never a chore to write.
I have seen him live twice and hope to go again if he tours in the UK at sometime.

His art continues to mean so much to me and has helped me through so many difficult periods in my life. As Morrissey himself would say: "Gasping, dying but somehow still alive"

Yeah but are you hot?

Re:

Welcome , enjoy your time here with us!
Cheers Moz

Re:

Off-hand , I don't know exactly. I guess I'd like to hear which particular angle was taken ? What got mentioned ? Albums ? Photos ? Press interviews ? Please don't say celibacy ( :) ) ...

Well it was mainly to see the effect morrissey's music had/has on popular culture, I included alot about his political and social views and also conducted a questionnaire on whether there was a 'specific morrissey fan cliche and whether these fans felt a connection between one another. Also how fans changed their views and beliefs according to moz i.e. Vegetarianism etc. I had a question about the subject of racism and moz and whether this was a true representation of his identity.

Re:

Mine was a sociology degree so it had to focus on society etc.
I did use some photos of him especially the ones used around smiths' days, what they represented to his identity and beliefs and how did that in turn make fans feel.
The front page of my diss was moz holding up the queen is dead plaquewhich i felt summed his views up pretty well

Re:

Mine was a sociology degree so it had to focus on society etc.
I did use some photos of him especially the ones used around smiths' days, what they represented to his identity and beliefs and how did that in turn make fans feel.
The front page of my diss was moz holding up the queen is dead plaquewhich i felt summed his views up pretty well

You wrote a dissertation for a graduate degree in sociology? I am puzzled as to why your grammar is so atrocious. What gives?

Re:

You wrote a dissertation for a graduate degree in sociology? I am puzzled as to why your grammar is so atrocious. What gives?

That's very rude and uncalled for. I have never been told anything like that before, usually quite the opposite. So obviously your opinion is a rogue and disrespectful one.
Just for your information, I recieved a high 2:1 for it therefore I don't think this is the mark of someone with bad grammar.
I am normally writing on a phone on the internet so I don't believe my grammar has to be wordsworth approved.

Re:

I joined up to this forum to speak to other fans about Morrissey, The Smiths and the music that I enjoy on a regular basis.
It is very sad that this has to be ruined by somebody who doesn't know me and just chooses to insult me for their own sadistic gratification.

Oh and just a word to the "wise"; the words: "What" and Gives", don't form a correct sentence together in the English language. So maybe look at your own grammatical choices before insulting mine.

112GIF.gif

Last edited:
Re:

That's very rude and uncalled for. I have never been told anything like that before, usually quite the opposite. So obviously your opinion is a rogue and disrespectful one.
Just for your information, I recieved a high 2:1 for it therefore I don't think this is the mark of someone with bad grammar.
I am normally writing on a phone on the internet so I don't believe my grammar has to be wordsworth approved.

I joined up to this forum to speak to other fans about Morrissey, The Smiths and the music that I enjoy on a regular basis.
It is very sad that this has to be ruined by somebody who doesn't know me and just chooses to insult me for their own sadistic gratification.

Oh and just a word to the "wise"; the words: "What" and Gives", don't form a correct sentence together in the English language. So maybe look at your own grammatical choices before insulting mine.

Normally I don't pay attention to grammar mistakes. I am not pedantic. And I have no sadistic impulse to shred your character to pieces. However, I have chosen NOT to let your poor writing slide, as you came onto this forum out of the blue, boosting to be a highly educated person. Most of us here keep our credentials hidden--unless asked. And even then, we exercise a little humility. We are mostly self-deprecators by nature, and thus, appreciate that trait in others.

But you claimed to have written a book--a 10,000 word dissertation! If I was shouting to the world that I had written a book, I would be self-conscious of my writing. I would be embarrassed to have written such poor text. You wrote it on your phone? That is no excuse. If you can't write correctly, save the thoughts for when you have access to a tech device which makes this possible. But most phone text that I have seen only fails to use caps and punctuation... your writing was poor--no matter how you slice it.

I can't believe you put your name to this...

8496836187_977e741a27_z.jpg

We have people here whose native language is one other than English, who put your writing to shame. And they have not written a dissertation--or they haven't bragged about doing so.

Also, running to the moderators and crying about being insulted isn't going to win you any friends here.

PS-Your sig says, "Don't leave it all unsaid, somewhere in the wasteland of your head." Be careful what you ask for.

Re:

I cannot believe you just wasted your time doing that.

I wasn't bragging about the dissertation, I was simply stating that I had written it about Morrissey. Bearing in mind, only in the context that my original post had been.

Also, as I said, the post from last night was written on a phone. One which is hard to write on properly at the best of times, of course I wouldn't be writing a dissertation or any other kind of work on a phone now would I?

Well it's pretty obvious that this forum is not what I had hoped for so I won't be bothering to come on here again for a while at least. Thank you for ruining the experience of "Morrissey fans" for me.
Think I'll keep him to myself from now on.

Re:

I cannot believe you just wasted your time doing that.

I wasn't bragging about the dissertation, I was simply stating that I had written it about Morrissey. Bearing in mind, only in the context that my original post had been.

Also, as I said, the post from last night was written on a phone. One which is hard to write on properly at the best of times, of course I wouldn't be writing a dissertation or any other kind of work on a phone now would I?

Well it's pretty obvious that this forum is not what I had hoped for so I won't be bothering to come on here again for a while at least. Thank you for ruining the experience of "Morrissey fans" for me.
Think I'll keep him to myself from now on.

I am just one fan. Prior to posting here, you had interviewed/questioned Moz fans. So I am NOT your first experience with a Moz fan. And thus, you should/would already know that the majority of fans are actually quite friendly and accommodating.

Re:

I am just one fan. Prior to posting here, you had interviewed/questioned Moz fans. So I am NOT your first experience with a Moz fan. And thus, you should/would already know that the majority of fans are actually quite friendly and accommodating.

I don't know why you had to be so nit picky is all.
I only wanted to meet similar minded people on here, perhaps we can start again?

Back
Top Bottom