The Smiths Night in Berlin feat. live interview with Andy Rourke (June 14)

U N K N O W N P L E A S U R E S presents THE SMITHS NIGHT

A night entirely dedicated to the band from Manchester. Special screening of the documentary "The Smiths - Inside The Smiths" (number 1 on UK indie docu charts) by Petricco & Standley followed by video screenings of the band.
Dancefloor with DJ Mark Freeman (Sigue Sigue Sputnik/Sister Butterfly), Kiss Me Deadly (House of Light), Polar, Al-eX Plush AnderS + guests.

Featuring Live Interview with ANDY ROURKE from THE SMITHS.

Doors open: 9pm
Cover € 5

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Info: Valentina | [email protected] | 0049 1578 5263031

http://www.facebook.com/events/230613313722300

http://www.king-kong-klub.de
Brunnenstr. 173 | 10119 Berlin Mitte
U8 Rosenthaler Platz

252393_327748167301749_1584638451_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: The Smiths Night in Berlin feat. live interview with Andy Rourke (June 1

If Andy Rourke doesn't like Morrissey or The Smiths why does he continue to do these sort of Smiths nights? I guess he must be getting paid good money for this. Andy Rourke thinks Nirvana are a better band than The Smiths. It's really strange.

Re: Article: The Smiths Night in Berlin feat. live interview with Andy Rourke (June 1

If Andy Rourke doesn't like Morrissey or The Smiths .

Can you qoute or share a part from a published intervieuw where Andy ever said he didn't like Morrissey or The Smiths

50 euroos are yours

[don't come around with Morrissey's way of dealing with people , we all know lots of people don't like him for that]

Can you qoute or share a part from a published intervieuw where Andy ever said he didn't like Morrissey or The Smiths

50 euroos are yours

[don't come around with Morrissey's way of dealing with people , we all know lots of people don't like him for that]
Sorry I can't prove it. I think Andy Rourke does like The Smiths as group, but I'm not sure he likes Morrissey as a person.

Although Andy Rourke likes The Smiths' music I don't think Andy Rourke thinks The Smiths are his fav band though or the best band ever. I think he likes bands like Nirvana and The Beatles better.

I think Andy Rourke would say "The Beatles are the greatest band of all time." I know he has a thing about John Lennon.

Or Andy Rourke might say "Nirvana are one of the greatest bands of all time and one of my fav bands." Andy Rourke likes Kurt Cobain.

Andy Rourke also has a thing about Neil Young and Liam Gallagher from 'Oasis' and he likes the band 'Japan'.

Andy Rourke tries hard to be cool and I think that is why he likes to play down his work with The Smiths. Andy Rourke told me I should like Nirvana rather than The Smiths, and that isn't a joke.

For me though The Smiths are Morrissey & Johnny Marr without them it wouldn't be The Smiths. I don't think Andy Rourke thinks much of Morrissey as a person, which is sad really.

I think Andy Rourke would say "The Beatles are the greatest band of all time." I know Andy Rourke has a thing about John Lennon.

Or Andy Rourke might say "Nirvana are one of the greatest bands of all time and one of my fav bands." Andy Rourke likes Kurt Cobain.

Andy Rourke also has a thing about Neil Young and Liam Gallagher from 'Oasis' and the band 'Japan'.

Andy Rourke tries very hard to be cool, so I think that is why he likes to play down his work with The Smiths. Andy Rourke told me that I should like the band Nirvana rather than The Smiths, that is no joke.

For me The Smiths are Morrissey & Johnny Marr and without them it wouldn't be The Smiths.

Andy Rourke also likes 'The Who' and 'The Rolling Stones'. I guess all 'Mods' like that sort of thing.

Yeah I knew Andy Rourke likes The Beatles, The Rolling Stone, The Who and he also likes The Kinks.

It's strange if Andy Rourke likes the band Nirvana and Kurt Cobain better than The Smiths and Morrissey. Maybe Andy Rourke would of been happier had he been part of Nirvana?

Andy Rourke always puts himself down and makes jokes about himself, so I would understand Andy Rourke putting The Smiths and Morrissey down and making jokes of them this would go with his personality and his sense of humour.

Yeah I knew Andy Rourke likes The Beatles, The Rolling Stone, The Who and he also likes The Kinks.

It's strange if Andy Rourke likes the band Nirvana and Kurt Cobain better than The Smiths and Morrissey. Maybe Andy Rourke would of been happier had he been part of Nirvana?

Andy Rourke always puts himself down and makes jokes about himself, so I would understand Andy Rourke putting The Smiths and Morrissey down and making jokes of them this would go with his personality and his sense of humour.
Yes Andy Rourke has a self-deprecating sense of humour.

As well as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Neil Young, Nirvana, the band 'Japan' and Oasis. Andy Rourke also likes The Byrds, The Beach Boys, the Bee Gees, David Bowie, Iggy Pop & The Stooges, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Blondie, Stevie Wonder, Elvis Presley, Elvis Costello, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Small Faces, Depeche Mode, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Talking Heads, T. Rex, The Jam, The Clash, The Doors, Thin Lizzy, Jimi Hendrix, The Only Ones, The Ramones, The Fall, Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays, the band 'Love', Louis XIV, MGMT, Chic, Joni Mitchell and Grace Jones. He also likes some jazz, blues, glam rock, funk, punk, post-punk, psychedelia, electronica, electropop, grunge, alternative rock, indie music, britpop and folk rock music. I think Andy Rourke likes a few New Wave type bands and of course the Madchester/baggy scene and Manchester's 'Haçienda' dance music club scene.

I think Andy Rourke would of been suited to being in one of his fav bands 'Nirvana'.

Andy Rourke seemed to hate 'Sly and the Family Stone' as a band but now he seems to like them. Andy Rourke was slagging off Jay-Z in a recent interview. I guess Andy Rourke can be fickle about music and is into anything he thinks is 'trendy'.

Andy Rourke likes the song "Jump Around" by the group 'House of Pain', produced by DJ Muggs of 'Cypress Hill', who has also covered the song.

Andy Rourke likes the band 'Electric Six' which is a six-piece Detroit-based band that plays what has been described as a brand of rock music infused with elements of "Garage, disco, punk rock, New wave, and metal."

Andy Rourke likes 'Outkast' (stylized as OutKast) which is an American hip hop duo based in East Point, Georgia, consisting of Atlanta native André "André 3000" Benjamin (formerly known as Dré) and Savannah, Georgia-born Antwan "Big Boi" Patton.

Andy Rourke likes The Sugarhill Gang's - "Rapper's Delight" tune.

Andy Rourke likes 'De La Soul' which is an American hip hop trio formed in 1987 on Long Island, New York. The band is best known for their eclectic sampling, quirky lyrics, and their contributions to the evolution of the jazz rap and alternative hip hop subgenres.

Andy Rourke likes Charles 'Charlie' Mingus Jr. (born April 22nd, 1922 – died January 5th, 1979) who was a highly influential American jazz double bassist, composer and bandleader. Mingus's compositions retained the hot and soulful feel of hard bop and drew heavily from black gospel music while sometimes drawing on elements of Third Stream, free jazz, and classical music. Yet Mingus avoided categorization, forging his own brand of music that fused tradition with unique and unexplored realms of jazz. He once cited Duke Ellington and church as his main influences.

Andy Rourke likes tracks from the "Trainspotting" soundtrack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_(soundtrack)

Paul Weller and Johnny Marr have that same 'Mod' look that Andy Rourke has. But yes Andy Rourke looks a bit like John Lennon and Liam Gallagher as well and he used to be a bit of a hippie.

I get the feeling Andy Rourke might be a bit jealous of Jay-Z and Morrissey because they are more successful than he is. It's weird Andy Rourke now likes 'Sly and the Family Stone' after being a bit rude about them and was dismissive of them.

Good typo 'The Rolling Stone' not 'The Rolling Stones'!

Andy Rourke seems to play whatever he thinks is trendy from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s..... right up to current music of today.

Andy Rourke doesn't like modern day Contemporary R&B, or pure commercial pop music much, which he would probably see as mindless. However, he might like a bit of Christina Aguilera. Andy Rourke in fact seems to hate modern R&B (modern day popular African-American music) and the purely commercial pop music you get in the Top 40 singles chart. I think Andy Rourke is quite 'snobby' when it comes to chart music! :(

Last edited:

Maybe another reason for Andy Rourke being in Germany is because his adopted daughter/stepdaughter Martene Rourke is now living there.

You're creeping me out with all this now. You're not called Andrea Ison, are you?

P.

8424336167_a85621ea0e.jpg

The Smiths contractually were Morrissey and Johnny Marr end of!

Some advice for you. Don't waste your money going to see Andy Rourke DJ. Save your money for something good! Your better off listening to your favorite Smiths music at home on a CD. If you want to see a live DJ in a club your better off going to see a professional DJ, someone good, rather than Andy Rourke who is almost universally recognized as one the finest indie rock bass players in rock history.

Fixed it for you.

Nice work Jamie . It needed correction! I think it's funny the MANY people who love to kick Andy just because they think Moz will give them a pat on the head for a job well done .

The fact that you manage to call Andy "just an average indie rock bass player " is enough to render everything else you've said meaningless.

Can Andy Rourke sing and play bass guitar at the same time, to a high standard, like this guy Larry Graham:

Andy Rourke's old website was a thriving community and it was a wonderful website but sadly they had to call it a day in the end. Please check out his new website http://www.andyrourke.com
Andy Rourke is a good guy and an incredible talent!
Andy Rourke's chemistry with Johnny Marr is obvious and is a perfect foil for the vocal and lyrical talents of Morrissey.
One day that trumvirate will come together again - mark my words. It did at the Versus Cancer charity concert. Versus Cancer by the way is the finest charity to of ever come out of Manchester, the North West of England or anywhere.

Mike Joyce may well remain an outsider - he has shown scant regard for Andy Rourke in his pursuit of money.
He cared little should Andy Rourke starve because he illegally misrepresented the facts to seize Morrissey's assets in the UK.
Ask why Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke played together after all this time at the Versus Cancer concert and ask why Mike Joyce couldn't and still cannot join them?
It's clear to me. People who have worked for and alongside the legendary Andy Rourke are all very proud to of done so!
Andy Rourke has amazing impeccable taste in music, the best and the poster above is right about that at least.
Please listen to Andy Rourke radio show on East Village Radio and check out the Versus Cancer charity.
You will not a find a radio presenter, DJ or bass guitarist better than Andy Rourke a true living legend.

Heather Street who is Andy Rourke's ex-girlfriend is a fan of The Smiths and of Stephen Street. Heather Street is a fantastic musician in her own right check out her music on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/heatherstreetmusic

Heather Street's cover version of the song "Hurt" by the band Nine Inch Nails is better than the Johnny Cash version.

Heather's original song "I Am" featuring Andy Rourke is sublime and wonderful and so is her cover of the New Order classic "Bizarre Love Triangle".

The word genius is maybe overused in this day and age. But I believe Heather Street to be a musical genius and Andy Rourke is also a musical genius.

Andy Rourke's old website was a thriving community and it was a wonderful website but sadly they had to call it a day in the end. Please check out his new website: http://www.andyrourke.com
Andy Rourke is a good guy and an incredible talent!
Andy Rourke's chemistry with Johnny Marr is obvious and is a perfect foil for the vocal and lyrical talents of Morrissey.
One day that trumvirate will come together again - mark my words. It did at the Versus Cancer charity concert. Versus Cancer by the way is the finest charity to of ever come out of Manchester, the North West of England or anywhere.

Mike Joyce may well remain an outsider - he has shown scant regard for Andy Rourke in his pursuit of money.
He cared little should Andy Rourke starve because he illegally misrepresented the facts to seize Morrissey's assets in the UK.
Ask why Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke played together after all this time at the Versus Cancer concert and ask why Mike Joyce couldn't and still cannot join them?

It's clear to me. People who have worked for and alongside the legendary Andy Rourke are all very proud to of done so!
Andy Rourke has amazing impeccable taste in music, the best! The poster above is right about that at least.
Please listen to Andy Rourke radio show on East Village Radio and check out the Versus Cancer charity.

You will not a find a radio presenter, DJ or bass guitarist better than Andy Rourke a true living legend.

Are you Andy Rourke's manager or part of his management team? Do you make money out of Andy Rourke? You don't write like you are a friend of Andy Rourke, or even a fan of him.

A 'triumvirate' is usually a political regime dominated by three powerful individuals. Is this the way you see Morrissey, Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke?

There is no way Morrissey would ever work with Andy Rourke again! Moz might work with Johnny Marr but NOT Andy Rourke.

Andy Rourke's old website was NOT a "Thriving community"! The Forum was full of 'spam' and angry Morrissey/Smiths fans (who had a bone to pick with Andy Rourke). It was a pretty nasty website and it was badly run. There was nothing much on the website anyway apart from 'The Forum' (which got very nasty, also some people/companies left spam messages there) and a huge photo of Andy Rourke's very frightening ex-manager Nova Rehman smoking a big cigar (probably a 'Cuban Cigar').

Nova Rehman is the classic 'gangster style' manager.

Why do you hate Mike Joyce so much and yet you like Andy Rourke? I guess you aren't making any money out of Mike Joyce. The last thing I heard was Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke are still friends!

While doing charity work is a good thing, that alone doesn't make you a good person. A lot of celebrities have charities, it is very common. Morrissey has NEVER had anything to do with the charity 'Versus Cancer'. It was just Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr on stage together at a Versus Cancer concert in Manchester back in 2006. As I said before there is no way Morrissey would perform on stage with Andy Rourke or work with him in any capacity ever again.

Also Andy Rourke is NOT a vegetarian and it is important to Morrissey to be around other fellow vegetarians!

There are plenty of radio presenters, DJs and bass guitarists who are better than Andy Rourke! Larry Graham is one example of a fantastic bass player and he can sing as well, please see the video of him above, he is a very creative guy. Victor Wooten is another example.

You sound quite pretentious and a bit of a sycophant with regards to Andy Rourke.

I see that Andy Rourke is raising funds for those affected by Hurricane Sandy in New York (the 'Sandy relief' fund) which is good, however that still doesn't make him a 'good' person, as I said most celebrities do a bit of charity work. It helps raise their public profile.

Andy Rourke (of The Smiths) supports the Japanese tsunami appeal:

Check this out Andy Rourke on why he doesn't like R&B/Soul music:

“I lived in Brooklyn and it's a struggle to find a good club that doesn't just play R&B all night, or even a radio station for that matter. Maybe one in ten is good, and put care into their playlists but that's a minority over in the States.” Andy, the careful listener was until recently a radio DJ himself on Manchester's XFM. By his own admission, he may not have been the best announcer with nerves getting the best of the bassist; “I used to panic a lot between talk breaks and I had to drink like two bottles of wine – one before and one during the show” He laughs, “Anyway the whole idea of my show – it was called 'Weekender' – was something to put on when you’re home getting drunk and getting ready to go out.”

Relocating to the USA, Rourke involved himself in the New York club scene. The live audiences and no nerve-wracking talk breaks appealed to the former Smith. There were the downsides however… “In the US, I get people asking me to play f***ing Jay-Z, which I don’t have, and they get pissed off as if you’re supposed magic up a Jay-Z CD.” Rourke muses. “There was a corporate show I did recently for Spin magazine and so people weren’t there to see me, I just happened to be DJing and this guy comes up (affects dopey American accent) “You got any Jay-Z?” – I go no, and turn my back for a moment and he poured his vodka and Redbull all over my laptop, and that was it. The thing was f***ed, so luckily I was at the end of my set, but I won’t be bullied into playing crap.

A fan of the Manchester house and indie music can surely expect to be indulged at an Andy Rourke DJ gig. "I obviously play a bit of The Smiths, New Order and Happy Mondays, but I also throw in some American stuff like Iggy Pop, Breeders and Pixies as well. But no f***ing R&B though!:(

By the way Contemporary R&B, also known as simply R&B, is a music genre that combines elements of old style rhythm 'n' blues, soul, gospel, funk, disco, pop, jazz, hip hop and dance music. With even some rock elements.

Are you Andy Rourke's manager or part of his management team? Do you make money out of Andy Rourke? You don't write like you are a friend of Andy Rourke or even a fan of him.

A 'triumvirate' is usually a political regime dominated by three powerful individuals. Is this the way you see Morrissey, Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke?

There is no way Morrissey would ever work with Andy Rourke again! Moz might work with Johnny Marr but NOT Andy Rourke.

Andy Rourke's old website was NOT a 'thriving community'! The forum was full of 'spam' and angry Morrissey/Smiths fans who had a bone to pick with Andy Rourke. It was a pretty nasty website and it was badly run. There was nothing much on the website anyway apart from the forum and a huge photo of Andy Rourke's frightening ex-manager Nova Rehman smoking a big cigar (probably a 'Cuban Cigar').

Why do you hate Mike Joyce so much and yet you like Andy Rourke?? I guess you aren't making any money out of Mike Joyce. The last thing I heard was Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke are friends.

While doing charity work is a good thing that alone doesn't make you a good person. A lot of celebrities have charities it is very common. Morrissey has never had anything to do with the charity 'Versus Cancer'. It was just Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr on stage together at a Versus Cancer concert in Manchester back in 2006. As I said before there is no way Morrissey would perform on stage with Andy Rourke or work with him in any capacity ever again.

Also Andy Rourke is NOT a vegetarian and it is important to Morrissey to be around other fellow vegetarians!

There are plenty of radio presenters, DJs and bass guitarists who are better than Andy Rourke! Larry Graham is one example of a fantastic bass player and he can sing as well, please see the video of him above, he is a very creative guy.

You sound quite pretentious and a bit of a sycophant with regards to Andy Rourke.

I see that Andy Rourke is raising funds for those affected by Hurricane Sandy in New York (the 'Sandy relief' fund) which is good but that still doesn't make him a good person as I said most celebrities do a bit of charity work.

I don't hate Mike Joyce, I don't like his behaviour and that is different. Yes I have worked for Andy Rourke and made money out of him but I still regard myself as a friend of his. I have also tried to promote the young Heather Street's music, she is of course Andy Rourke's ex-girlfriend. I'm not Nova Rehman, Damian Morgan, Alex English (the American DJ booking agent), DJ Tall Paul, Andy's new manager Melissa Aubert or anyone like that in case you think I might be. I would be very careful of what you say about Nova Rehman as he is a hard, tough bloke and you don't know what someone like that is capable of.

Andy Rourke is very talented, as well as being a wonderful musician and bass player, club DJ and radio presenter he is also a songwriter, remixer, record producer and he owns part of a club. His charity work is yet another thing he does, he works very hard. I'm glad you think his charity work is good.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom