So which album should be my entrance?

Ennis

I am a relatively new Morrissey fan. I have some money in my pocket, off to the record store. I need an easy entrance into the solo work, not too nerdy, not too controversal, preferably great! Which album should I buy?
Am thankful for any hints!
:)

just my two cents:
well his vauxhall and I (1994) is seen by many esp by rock critic journalists as
his best album and a lot of fans too agree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_and_I
it so happens i do agree on that..its my fave...a wonderful record.
it has indeed many of his best songs on it. now my heart is full, speedway...
the overall sound with some expceptions like speedway(amazing drums) is rather more quiet

so if you rather want it more rockist than your arsenal(1992)rock songs like national front disco,
but has also the slow songs like seasick,yet still docked
these albums works as a whole very well for me

the earlier singles and bsides from the late 80ties to 1990 can be found on bona drag
a very good album/compilation to have and also a good starter record.
edit:great produced songs like from stephen streettand a wide trange of lyric thematics

of course you find many many fans do have their own favourite record which was graded not well
with journalists..like southpaw..critique of the reviewers were: it was missing the wordly lyrics which
engrave the high standard of his lyrical work and had 2 overlong songs with long instrumental parts in
it etc..
and of course there are some songsgems on every album which seems to be lost on the critic while reviewing
an album bad like Trouble loves me from maladjusted etc

so you prob should listen to the songs on last fm or youtube and look up the tracklist
at
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/discog-moz.htm

and decide which albums,sound and songs fits you best.

another thing is that many of his best songs are often hidden as b-sides
(i esp like and recommend highly his b-sides from 94-97) or as previously unreleased
many of these can be found on compilations like world of morrissey
or my early burglary years (which is out on a very low price."mid price")
or on the recent album-reisssues of southpaw and maladjusted
songs such as
A Swallow On My Neck,
Disappointed
Girl Least Likely To
Hairdresser On Fire
Happy Lovers United
Honey You Know Where To Find Me
I Can Have Both
I'd Love To
I'm Playing Easy To Get
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Jack The Ripper (i adore this song)
Let The Right One Slip In
Lifeguard on duty
Lost
Nobody Loves Us
Now I Am A Was,
SISTER Im a poet
The Never played Symphonies
Whatever Happens, I Love You
Will Never Marry,
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
etc

or album tracks:
like late night ,maudlin street( which is on viva hate ,his first soloalbum which contains
also his best known songs and if i remember correctly also the songs which charted the
highest: every day is like sunday and suedehead
plus stephen street produced- whom many view stephen as the best producer in his solo career

come back to camden from his "comeback" album you are the quarry
etc...

a good starter is alsohaving the dvd which shows the unique concert experience which contains
stage invasions of fans both sexes hugging and kissing morrissey
emotional fans and morrissey`s unique and radiant way of "performing" live
and him interacting with the fans...
introducing morrissey (1995) in particular shows the mentioned interactions and stage invasions
which is sadly not yet released on dvd only on vhs
but can be found online on various places;)
this dvd is essential:who put the m in manchester -has an incredible tracklist (from 2004)
and until know the only official released recording of a full solo concert
but you find many live concerts filmed by fans from youtube-

edit:hulmerist shows some excerpts of his famous first wolverhampton gig in 88 (like in sister Im a poet)

i assume you have the smiths records as you partuclar asked about his solo work
well i can only say there is no album which shall be missed def. all of them great from the debut
to meat is murder to the queen is dead (which you surely know is refered to their masterpiece) to
strangeways
not to forgot the radio performaces and bsides compilation/album hatful of hollow
edit: which are one some cases sound better on the peel radio session than on the album
also the two compilations like world wont listen and louder than bombs
a newer compilation is sound of the smiths which also contains some rare b sides.

a great joy are also his interviews which can be found
on www.luckylisp.com
and http://arcaneoldwardrobe.com/

the passion site is also good to have a look at his influences from book, film literature and music

mostly all of his stage banters has been transcribed as well there

EDIT: good BOOKS are morrissey shot by linder sterling who is his longterm close friend
who did shot the 1991 tour with the result of Amazing pictures
peepholism from jo slee with all of his amazing and unique smiths covers and solo covers til 1994
plus background info as she worked for him
meetings with morrissey book by len brown an interviewer who has met him a lot over the years
even though i disagree on some parts
and mozipedia by simon goddard an lexicon from a-z on all things morrissey /smiths

Last edited:
wow thanks so much. that's a nice little overview right there. so i guess i'll better get to work. I might have to get back to you, though. As further questions will most definitly come up.

So far I have listened into Vauxhall, also into Bona Drag. Vauxhall seems to be amazing. Very epic. Very broad.

thxs again, later!

Back
Top Bottom