No, I cannot steal a pair of jeans off a clothes line

Black Cloud

Case Sensitive
Has anybody here ever tried to shrink a new pair of Levi's to fit? Any tips? If they fit as well as people say, it will be worth having blue legs for awhile.

Has anybody here ever tried to shrink a new pair of Levi's to fit? Any tips? If they fit as well as people say, it will be worth having blue legs for awhile.

I looked it up here.I had heard of the bathtub method but I have never tried it. The easy way is to dry them in the dryer and take them out when they are still hot and steaming and wear them. If you keep doing that they will shape to you but not the same way. They are always tighter when you first put them on, too. Some Morrissey fan here has probably done this the proper way, though. :thumb:

Well, it certainly was a major preoccupation with Smiths fans in the golden olden days: Hair and jeans and tee-shirts and cassettes, and that's all.

oooooooh, the passing of time and all of its sickening crimes...

I knew some, but only one would talk to me.

Smiths related story about my Older brother ( R.I.P. Jack, incidentally... who absolutely HATED The Smiths...There's the Smiths "Link"..)...

My older brother used to buy jeans called "Flemings"....made locally in Liverpool, UK.( they were a popular brand with the "Mods/Skinhead" and reggae music, etc culture in the late 60's, early 70's that was starting to thrive at the time...)
he used to soak each pair for about 4 days in the family bathtub, in cold water.

Our house ( family of six) did not have a shower, or any other washing facility available, whilst this was occuring...
so we other family members all had to ask our Auntie upstairs if we could wash ourselves in her bathroom ( we lived in a shitty tenement block..)
This happened regularly, as he was a "Fussy" dresser....the slightest mark on the Jeans meant a new pair HAD to be bought....pesky nuisance it was, back in the day...

On the plus side, he taught me how to Iron and press clothes to perfection....
I miss him being around.....but at least he left me with tales like this to tell...
P.S, His jeans always looked SMART!

Well, it certainly was a major preoccupation with Smiths fans in the golden olden days: Hair and jeans and tee-shirts and cassettes, and that's all.

oooooooh, the passing of time and all of its sickening crimes...

wasn't it more to do with lose fitting 501s i seem to remember....well it was for me.

P.S, His jeans always looked SMART!

I swear the best pair of jeans i ever had were called 'Smiths Jeans' which kind of shrunk to fit without all that fussing about. looked great with a little turn up with my motorbike boots or penny loafers.

I liked your story, Davie. and Smiths Jeans sounds like they'd have to be good.

Davey, thanks for that!!! Fantastic!

wasn't it more to do with lose fitting 501s i seem to remember....well it was for me.

Right, but they had to be...perfect. You know? You had to buy them new and fade them in and they had to sag in just the right places. And I have had Smiths before, but they were not jeans, just khakis. The cool kids wore them to school with their uniform instead of dress trousers. They used to be $20 a pair, but now collectors apparently pay much more.

When I was little I wore Levis Super Bells. I think I switched to 501's when I was in high school and then that was mostly all I wore. I ride bikes a lot so they wear out between the thighs and in the seat and I still wear them but when they actually get holes I usually stop wearing them unless they are favorites or the only thing clean. So pretty much total slob compared to the above. I was accidentally in style in the early 90's because I always wore flannels, t-shirts, and jeans. So that was embarrassing and then when it was over and I still wore it, it looked like I didn't know it was over I guess. I just like comfortable functional clothes. I wear sneakers every day except sometimes boots if the weather is bad.
So that's like my fashion history. But I notice that lots of men that comment on fashion have really bad style so I might be able to pull off being an expert.

2wc0byt.jpg

these are really bad. I have a picture where I'm 12 wearing this and a yellow Kiss t-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was little I wore Levis Super Bells. I think I switched to 501's when I was in high school and then that was mostly all I wore. I ride bikes a lot so they wear out between the thighs and in the seat and I still wear them but when they actually get holes I usually stop wearing them unless they are favorites or the only thing clean. So pretty much total slob compared to the above. I was accidentally in style in the early 90's because I always wore flannels, t-shirts, and jeans. So that was embarrassing and then when it was over and I still wore it, it looked like I didn't know it was over I guess. I just like comfortable functional clothes. I wear sneakers every day except sometimes boots if the weather is bad.
So that's like my fashion history. But I notice that lots of men that comment on fashion have really bad style so I might be able to pull off being an expert.

2wc0byt.jpg

these are really bad. I have a picture where I'm 12 wearing this and a yellow Kiss t-shirt.

were they beige Dave?

Blue like those, Billy. I had some striped flares, too.
2yjzxx4.jpg

But not brown and beige. I had one pair that was very similar to something I saw Mick Jagger wearing.

I went to the store yesterday and they were selling flares, but they were very badly constructed flares. Those ones up there are pure poetry, just look at those lines! Have we as a society lost the technology to produce flares? Is this proof that our culture is dying?

Back
Top Bottom